PART 2: FAITHLESS HERO, Ch. 4

4

"Master! Master!"

Luciana's voice sounds close, and I open my eyes.

More than a calling tone, it's an alarm tone. I can hear and feel footsteps as if they were inside my body, and I realize that I'm lying on the cold floor, with my cheek pressed against the rough and uneven ground of the forest.

A shadow appears in front of me, and, immediately, I can see her kneeling beside my body.

"Master!" She brings her face close to mine, and makes a quick inspection of my body. "Can you see me?"

"Lu... ciana?"

She sighs in relief, and I can feel her warm breath on my forehead. She moves back a little and removes her helmet, revealing loose strands of blonde hair wet with sweat. As she comes closer to my face again, I feel a faint smell of a wet dog.

Ah... yes. In this state, with the haste she is acting now, this is what she reminds me of, a dog. She extends her hand and slides it under my head, between the ground and my cheek, in order to raise my head, but, as if my body felt a threat before my mind does, I take her hand by the wrist and stop her.

"Be careful," I say, with a barely audible voice.

That's when she sees my wound.

"Tch. That bastard..."

"He's gone," I say, and I venture to swallow with great care so I can clear my throat. "Both are gone."

For a moment she stays still, and she looks at me analyzing my words. I know what she's thinking.

"They were two," I explain, my voice a little clearer. "I... I tried to stop him..."

At the same time, I try to get up. Luciana assists me, placing one hand on my neck, and the other on my waist.

When I'm finally sitting on the floor, I bring my hand to my neck in order to check the condition of my wound, and then I look at Luciana. I need her opinion.

She raises her knee and rests her forearm there. Then sighs. She didn't like that I faced this demon in my current condition, but she understands that there is nothing she could have done to prevent it.

But it's not the time for that. Luciana brings her face towards me, bending over a bit to take a look at my neck.

"Thankfully, it's not that deep, but you've bled a lot. Let me see." Then she brings her face a little closer. Behind the haze of my gaze, I notice tiny freckles on the bridge of her nose and little drops of sweat all over her face. "Yeah. It should be treated right away. "There isn't any other wound, is there?"

"No," I answer, and reach for her hand to help me stand up. "Let's go back home."

When I get up, I'm momentarily stunned, and I'm about to collapse again, but Luciana holds me up.

"Master..." she says, as I settle down next to her, "you do have courage. Running through the rain and darkness, leaving unscathed from an overturn... and now this... I'm serving a great Master."

Her comment softens me, and I thank her for being tall and strong enough to carry not only her own exhausted body, but also to support mine.

"Thank you for coming back to me. I was afraid you were not fit to fight demons, but you manage pretty well for yourself. I don't see any injuries... do I?"

I look down and search for any trace of blood on her suit, but, apart from the dirt stains, I don't see anything suspicious, so we continue walking cautiously through the snow until we reach the villa.

"Master, I've fought exactly as you wanted."

The look she gives me is that of someone who seeks approval, but I feel terrible for not monitoring her battle, so I just smile shyly.

"You have fought well," I say with a little fear, hoping she doesn't notice my insecurity. If she's alive in this moment, and without any injury, then I'm satisfied, and that's all that matters.