Chapter 6

Madison nervously picked up the envelope, pulling out a seat at the breakfast bar and flipping the envelope over. The flap hadn't been closed but tucked inside, she opened it slowly and pulled out a single sheet of paper. A letter, signed by her father. Madison's heart did a couple of flip-flops, beating rapidly as she started to read it.

'My dearest Madison,

If you're reading this letter, that means I'm already gone, and sadly without ever given the opportunity to get to know you. Words will never begin to explain to you how sorry I am that we never met, but please realize that I loved you. That I wanted you.

I won't tell you that I loved your mother, we were virtual strangers, but I think, given the chance, I might have. That doesn't change my feelings for you though. When I first found out of your existence, I fought tooth and nail for the chance to be a part of your life. But your mother insisted that it would be for the best if I didn't.

Letting you go is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and I regretted it with my last breath and every day before that. I don't blame your mother, though I should, she loved you, and she feared for your life. I guess I would have done the same if I had been in her position. But I'll never know.

As I sit here and write this, I want you to understand how much I loved you, and how proud I am of the woman you've become. This ranch is my life's work, and in a way, I dedicate it to you. It is my last wish that you will give this place a chance. I trust that you'll come to love it as I have, and I truly hope you'll decide to carry on my legacy.

If you have any questions about anything, anything at all, Keith can answer them. He's a great guy, and my best friend. He'll never steer you wrong, you can trust him, Madison. Al will make sure you have everything you need, and I hope you'll make yourself at home here.

I love you Madison. I always have, and I always will.

- Dad'

Madison read the letter three or four times, tearing up a little more each time. It amazed her that she'd been able to hold it together at all. She ran her fingers across the paper, wondering if she might somehow capture his essence through his words. It seemed strange to her, mourning this man she'd never met. Yes, he might have been her biological father, but she hadn't known him in any capacity. Through his words, however, through all the cards and letters he'd written over the years, that she'd been reading little by little at night before going to bed these past few days, and what Molly and Keith had so far told her, she had slowly started piecing him together, making him real.

She almost pictured him.

Madison got up, folding the letter and tucking it into her back pocket. She wanted to explore the rest of the house, see if she might be able to find any pictures of her father. Tom had said she looked like him, there was only one way to find out. She desperately wanted to put a face to the name, to the feelings.

The kitchen led in two separate directions, either into the formal dining area or into the great room. Both rooms looked like something out of a home and garden catalog. She assumed her father had used a professional when decorating.

She found a staircase hidden behind a door near the utility room, that she supposed led down to the basement, and from the great room, she had access to the lanai outside and the pool. The covered porch had an outdoor kitchen, seating, and a fireplace. She loved the pool with its large and lush landscaping that included a waterfall and an attached hot tub. It even had a small slide.

The great room, decorated in a beautiful classical theme, had a piano, and from the great room, she saw three more rooms. A formal living room, a powder room, and a library, with floor to ceiling shelves, packed full of books. The library also boasted a comfortable looking bay window, and several other seating options surrounded a large red brick fireplace as well.