Chapter 13

Damien leaned back in his chair, propping his feet on the desk as he chewed a pencil, trying to make sense of his conversation with Robert Melton's daughter. He'd been fighting the last six months, pulling out every investigative trick he could come up with to obtain a search warrant for the Melton place, but Robert stood firm in his convictions.

Robert maintained Keith Walker's innocence despite whatever foolish notion Damien conjured up. The old man remained sure of it. So sure of it in fact that he threatened Damien's job if he so much as came near him again. Robert dies, and his daughter does a complete one-eighty. Where the hell was she six months ago?

Curious about Ms. Adams, he'd placed a call to a private investigator friend of his, even though a detective himself, he could only gather so much information on his own, red tape and all. So far, he'd found out that she'd moved to the area and obtained a driver's license this past Monday, and she'd previously lived and worked in San Diego, California. He also learned that her parents were listed as Tammy and Rick Adams. Not Robert, which didn't necessarily mean anything.

As he had no reason to suspect Robert's daughter of anything, lies or otherwise, opening an investigation into her past wasn't so easy. No, Damien suspected she'd told him the truth anyway, Keith had very likely gotten home a few hours after leaving, but two hours seemed like plenty of time to do... something, to all of these women.

And Damien was adamant about finding out what that something might be.

Tomorrow would be a good start; though he suspected he'd likely come up short. Ms. Adams appeared so sure they wouldn't find anything incriminating at the ranch, which meant they probably wouldn't. Either there was nothing to find, or they'd already gotten rid of the evidence. He'd bet on the latter himself because he didn't buy the doctor's innocence, he, like any other good cop, didn't believe in coincidences.

Damien realized it would take time to hear back about his inquiry into Madison's background, so after filling his captain in on the latest development, he stopped off at the crime lab and put together a small team for the following day's excursion. Afterward, he met up with Julie for dinner before going back to his place to let off some steam.

 Afterward, he met up with Julie for dinner before going back to his place to let off some steam

Madison and Keith spent the bulk of the evening together at the clinic. In addition to making sure that absolutely everything was in order, and properly labeled, Madison asked Keith to pull the invoices for the entire ranch. Anything they ordered or bought in the last six months, she wanted a copy of the receipts.

She also told him to make copies of his bank statements for the time in question, and she did the same for herself, even though she'd only been a part of the ranch for a few days, as well as going back through the records she'd filed and pulling her father's financials. If Lancaster PD wanted to dig around in her father's affairs, she'd make sure they got more than they'd bargained for.

She wanted to show them that not only did the ranch have nothing to hide but that they were idiots to be looking in Keith's direction, to begin with. She'd keep them bogged down with paperwork for the next few months if nothing else, and that alone made her smile. Madison didn't like being pushed around, the ranch belonged to her now, in the short time she'd been there it had become her home, and the staff, her people, she wouldn't let anyone try to intimidate her or anybody she perceived as valuable to her.