Chapter 7

Keith had only been back in the house for a second, just long enough to set a couple of steaks down on the counter when he heard the scream. A deep guttural sound, like a lamb being slaughtered, the noise penetrating his senses on every level. Without hesitating, he tore through the house and dashed up the stairs.

He found Madison pressed up against the counter, her eyes wide, her mouth slack as she breathed erratically and stared straight ahead. Her pulse jumped rapidly in her throat and her bare breasts heaved with the effort to pull in oxygen.

Though completely naked, Keith hardly noticed, looking from her to the empty space in front of her and back again.

"Madison!" He shouted, quickly going to her side and grasping her shoulders. "Madison, what is it?"

Madison turned to face him, her eyes rolling back in her head, her knees buckling as she collapsed in his arms.

Keith noted the sheer terror on her face before she fainted, he gently cradled her in his arms and laid her on her father's bed. Afterward, he walked back into the bathroom to turn off the shower and began searching the area. He started in the general vicinity of where he'd seen Madison's eyes fixated, but when he found nothing amiss he opened the linen closet and looked down the laundry shoot.

Nothing. He saw absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in the bathroom. Not even a spider. Not so much as a cobweb in that bathroom.

So what the hell had she'd seen?

Or did she see anything at all?

Keith grabbed a robe off the back of the door, laid it on top of Madison, and sat down beside her, lightly rubbing her back.

"Madison. Madison, can you hear me?" He asked quietly.

She started to moan, her head lolled from side to side.

"Madison, come on, come back to me."

"Who are you? What do you want from me?" She mumbled, her eyes closed tightly, her body covered in goosebumps and quivering slightly.

Keith stood abruptly, he looked around the room, and yet he saw nothing. But he could feel it.

Why hadn't he recognized it before? The dampness in the air, that cold breeze that hovered slightly out of reach. He looked down at Madison again, she'd curled up into the fetal position, clutching the robe to her, and yet, she was still on the verge of unconsciousness.

What the hell had she seen in that bathroom? Or more accurately, who had she seen?

He suddenly remembered Robert's last words. Of all the conversations he'd had with Robert, the many times they'd talked about history, ancestors, about magic and Robert's gypsy heritage, Keith had been skeptical. Better than most, Keith understood that sometimes things are not as they seem, and there are other things in this world that could never be explained.

But this idea that she might be the one? That she may be the key to it all? He shook his head. Nonsense. Complete fiction. But how else did he explain it?

 But how else did he explain it?