Chapter 27

Detective Crowley hadn't come alone, he'd brought two other officers with him, and though she was a little nervous, she tried holding it together.

"What can I do for you, Detective?" She asked in what she hoped came across as a pleasant voice.

Damien motioned for his officers to hold back, approaching Madison with long swift strides that ate up the ground. She hadn't noticed until that point how tall he really was. His height alone made him an intimidating man, but she remained partially reluctant to believe that beneath that roguishly handsome exterior hid a ruthless killer.

She decided to tread lightly either way.

"I have an arrest warrant for Keith Walker, or whatever the hell his name is," Damien replied gruffly, trying to hold onto his composure.

"For what this time?" Madison demanded, heading him off at the pass as he started in the direction of Keith's cottage.

Damien attempted to ignore her, but Madison stood her ground, refusing to let him by.

With a hand on his hip near his holster, Damien thrust the warrant in her direction. "Murder." He answered maliciously.

Madison's mouth fell open, the air rushing from her lungs as Damien shoved the warrant into her grasp and evaded her at the same time. "Murder?" She choked out, now following in his wake as he reached the back door of the cottage and began pounding on it.

"Keith Walker?" He shouted, ignoring a stunned Madison once she finally caught up.

The other two officers made their way over, prepared to subdue Madison if necessary. She gave them both a menacing glare and stepped between Damien and the door to the cottage.

"He isn't home." She spat, finding her voice once the initial shock wore off.

"Where is he? His truck's right there." Damien groused, pointing to the large Silverado that sat in the driveway.

Madison had to be quick on her feet. "He's riding the fence line."

Damien grumbled under his breath, nodding to his officers in the direction of the main house. "We'll wait inside with you then until he gets back if that's okay?"

"Fine."

With the warrant still in hand, Madison turned on her heel and marched toward the house, tempted to slam the door shut in their faces. Murder! Ha! Once inside, with a smile that looked like more of a snarl on her face, Madison motioned them to the table and walked into the kitchen busying herself by making coffee as she tried to come up with another plan.

What was she supposed to tell them in a couple of hours when Keith still hadn't surfaced? And what if they checked the barn and realized none of the horses were missing? She'd really jumped the gun this time!

"Do you want some coffee while you wait?" She asked more graciously, stalling for time as her thoughts ran a mile a minute, scrambling to come up with some way to get rid of them.

The two deputies accepted her offer readily, but Damien declined, looking around the kitchen and what little else he could see of the house while he waited.

Madison fixed herself a mug and sat down at the table with them, hoping to seem a little more cheerful as she tried to wheedle information out of Damien.

"Can I ask why you assume Keith did this reprehensible thing you're accusing him of?"

Damien stayed silent for a moment, the two officers with him lost in their cell phones. Madison figured he wouldn't answer her, but then he looked at her, and the smug little smirk on his face gave him away. The arrogant bastard was dying to get something off his chest.