|FOUR

My eyes widened. "What?"

Derek raised his eyebrows. "You mean... you don't know?"

"What the hell do you mean I've become a goddess?" My mind raced—I'm a goddess? No! That's not possible! But something in the back of my subconscious reminded me that nothing has been possible since I moved here.

"Κυρία της Σελήνης, please don't be angry. We weren't aware. We felt it when you gained your godly abilities, but we thought you were mindful when doing it."

"Hold the freaking phone! What do you mean, I'm a goddess?"

"Κυρία της Σελήνης, maybe we can go somewhere and talk about this," suggested Erik.

Red flags went up in my head. I wanted to know what the hell they were talking about, but I knew better to go anywhere with them. Derek seemed to pick up on that. "We promise we have the best intentions."

The same voice told me he told the truth. I slowly nodded, and Derek gave a small smile. They turned and started moving. We strode silently through the forest, the sound of the crickets keeping me company. As the minutes ticked by, my panic tripled. Oh, God, how stupid can I get? I knew they led me here to kill me! I put my hand on the hilt of my dagger, still hidden by my shirt, and got ready to sprint away when a house appeared in the distance.

The house, like mine, stood at three stories tall. It had white paint, and some windows still had lights on behind curtains. Multiple brick chimneys poked out of the roof. When we got to the house, Derek led me to a living room. A few couches sat throughout the room with chairs accompanying them. A fireplace with a crackling fire already lit dominated the room.

Derek sent Erik and the unknown boy away and told me to sit. I hesitantly perched on one of the armchairs near the fire. He took the one across from me. He laughed softly. "So, back in the woods, you probably thought we were completely insane."

I nodded. "Something like that."

"Well, I should probably explain." He took a deep breath. "About eighteen years ago, the Moirai—or Fates—received news that the Moon goddess is expecting a child with a mortal—with whom she fell in love. Everyone rejoiced; they threw parties and committed sacrifices in Hera's honor to ensure safe delivery. Everyone was excited—except for the thunder god and king of the gods, Zeus. You see, Artemis, the Greek moon goddess, had given a vow of chastity. Though, that had been four millennia ago, and she had forgotten. Or maybe she wanted to experience love—who knows? But Zeus certainly did not forget Artemis' vow.

"He became so livid that he vowed to kill Artemis, her child, and her lover. But, before he could imprison them, they went into hiding. Zeus asked Hekate, the goddess of witches, necromancy, and crossroads, to seek them since she is known for finding anything after locating Persephone when Hades kidnapped her. But Hekate refused—for she hid the trio from Zeus' wrath.

After forcing her to give up their locations, he locked her away. He slaughtered her, Artemis, and the father. But they had hidden the child too well, and she lived. But before Zeus killed Artemis, she relinquished her power to the child—with Hekate doing the same; for she had no living heirs, and had become fond of the child when she resided in Artemis' womb. Zeus realized too late what they had done.

"Since the baby has not one, but double the power of a normal god, Zeus increased his haste to find the child. That baby now had the power to surpass him as the most powerful. For the past seventeen years, Zeus has tried relentlessly to find the child and kill her, but she remains to be found." He met my gaze. "That is until about a week and a half ago."