|TEN

Wolves trampling through brush woke me in the morning. I glared out of the window—I knew I should've dimmed my hearing before I went to sleep. The sun's rays barely crawled over the blades of grass and cypress trees. Throughout the yard, various wolves in different colors and sizes ran in the direction of the trees. Why are they up at such an ungodly hour?

I squinted at the clock and groaned—it only just reached five in the morning. I begrudgingly rolled out of bed and stumbled over to my drawer. I glanced over at the pile of blankets—also known as Hanna. I opened the drawer, being as quiet as possible. I shifted into my ruse again. I dressed in a navy tank top with a white A-line skirt that stopped just before my ankles. I slid on my sandals from the previous day.

I left the room, softly closing the door. I headed to the kitchen, not expecting to see anyone. But a she-wolf smiled once I stepped into the room. The girl seemed my age and had straight, auburn hair that caught the light. She had odd, royal-blue eyes. The woman sat at the island, a cup of brown liquid steaming in her hands. 

She nodded at me. "Good morning."

"Morning," I grunted.

She grinned. "Not a morning person?"

"Oh, I don't mind mornings. But I prefer to be up when the sun is." I gestured to the sunrise out the window.

"Did their hunt wake you?"

I nodded. "Can I have some of your coffee?"

"Go ahead." I approached the pot and poured the delicious drink. "Do you wanna join me?"

No, I don't want to make nice with my traitorous creations. But I need to have friends. "Yeah, sure."

"I'm Monica—the Gamma." The Gamma is the person below a Beta.

"Lilura."

"What's a witch doing on pack lands?"

"Alpha Derek hasn't told you? My sister and I are staying here while the Eternal Cattail Coven is admitting us."

"Oh. Interesting."

I talked to her for about an hour before I smelled Derek coming into the house; I could smell he was content. "Good morning." I froze when I realized what I did—I spoke before he could walk into the room.

"How did you know I was here?"

They noticed. Oops.

"Oh, um, I heard the door open."

"But how did you hear that?"

I shrugged. "Lucky break?"

He eyed me warily. "Anyway, I need to tell you something. Tonight, at seven, I'm going to introduce you to the pack, so they know who and why you're here."

"Super. I'll tell Hana. Is it casual?"

"More like semi-casual. Like, don't wear jeans but don't wear a fancy dress."

I gave him a blank stare. "I'm a witch; do you think I own pants?"

"Touché."

I got up and left, but I paused once I heard them whispering, "Why does that witch girl act as if she'd rather be anywhere else?"

"Maybe she doesn't like wolves," responded Derek.

"Then... why stay with us?"

"Well, we are the closest supernaturals to their coven."

"I guess." A pause ensued. "Why do you suppose she hates wolves?"

"I have no idea."

I heard footsteps join the two wolves. Then a chair scraped against the wooden floor. "Are you guys talking about those hot witches?" Erik's voice joined in on theirs.