|NINE

"I was thinking," Apollo announced over breakfast a day later, "wouldn't it be a good idea to disguise yourself as something somebody wouldn't ever guess?"

"Well, I mean, yes. Who do you have in mind?" I asked.

"You could make up an alias. Maybe a traveling witch?"

I nodded. "All right. But my witchy-ness isn't up to par."

"I can help with that," Hades jumped in. "I'll summon a witch spirit to help teach you."

I smiled. "Thank you; that's perfect."

A couple of hours later, Apollo and I sat in one of my many parlors in my manor, brain-storming ideas of my alias. I chose the name Lilura because it means 'enchantment,' and I thought it fit for being a witch. For my last name, I chose Koráki because it means 'raven' in Greek—a subtle nod at witchcraft.

"Okay," Apollo said from across me. We both sat on the floor in front of the fire crackling in the fireplace. "What are your ideas about your new appearance? Maybe blonde hair Maybeblonde hair for being the opposite of what it is now?"

I nodded slowly, thinking it over. "I like that, but it needs something..."

Over the next fifteen minutes, we threw around hair and eye colors. Finally, we had the description locked down. I decided on white-blonde hair that fell to the middle of my shoulder blades, one silver eye, and one lavender eye—simply to unsettle them a bit—the same skin tone, my black nose ring again, no marks, and make my face different. For my face, we chose to have sharper cheekbones, larger eyes, and a smaller chin. Then Apollo suggested a black streak in my hair as a tribute to my old form. I would be of the same height and weight to keep the same clothes.

Over the next few days, Hades returned my staff, and Apollo and I practiced my new guise. Since I couldn't hold it overnight, we concluded that I would lock my door when inside the pack and drop the guise. I had a feeling that a locked door spell was a beginner level spell. My story is that I am a loner witch, and I am in the process of getting accepted into the Eternal Cattail Coven; I need a place to stay and am "appealing to Alpha Derek's kindness."

Three days after my escape from Zeus, Hades summoned someone who would get the job done—his words, not mine—for retrieving my memories. I stood in my Main Hall, wearing a plain, light coral dress that allowed me to move with ease. I pulled my hair back in a fishtail braid. The doors swept open, drawing my attention.

A tall woman with an olive complexion walked in, bowing profoundly. "Κυρία του Σκότους."  Her voice had a raspy quality. When her head bent forward, her long, mahogany hair shimmered in the candlelight. She rose and met my eyes; she had forest green eyes, and I could tell she was an instructor in her time—her eyes held kindness, but I knew she could be stern if needed. With a jolt, I realized she looks exactly like me.

I know who this woman is.

"Circe. My daughter." I stepped forward, opening my arms. She met me halfway and welcomed the embrace.

"It has been too long, mother," Circe replied. "I hear you need help."

"Yes. Zeus killed my past self, and I need assistance regaining back my knowledge."

"Certainly. Let's move to your garden—I think the asphodels will be of some aid."

Once we stood among the white flowers—which she called asphodels—Circe removed her bracelet that eerily resembled my selenite ring. The clear stones molded together and tinted black. When they stopped moving, she now held a wooden staff.

She tapped it against the ground, and something materialized on the grass. A black bowl with a leather-bound book on top of a white blanket greeted me—a bundle of herbs laid in the obsidian container. Circe took my hand and led me to the quilt; we kneeled on the soft cloth.