|TWENTY

Shock flashed over Monica's face. "W-what? Do, do you really mean that?"

I pulled her in for another kiss, savoring everything about her. "I do," I whispered. "I realized it when I left. Oh, it was so hard to leave you."

She nestled her head back onto my shoulder. "It was hard for you to leave me, too. But there's also something that I should tell you..."

"Oh, God, you've found your mate, haven't you?"

"No, no, no! Nothing like that! I have to admit something, too. I think... I love you, too."

"...You do?"

"I do."

"Well, that's wonderful! I love you so much. You were my constant thought while Zeus had me. I held on to see you again."

"Let's not talk about Zeus for a moment, okay? I just want to hold you."

I kissed the top of her head. "I agree."

I settled back against the mattress, closing my eyes. I listened to Monica's intake of breaths, letting the peaceful, yet everyday, sound lull me into a sense of security.

I'm home. I'm out of danger. I'm with the person I love the most.

I'm safe.

"Hekate!"

The door ricocheted off of the wall with a loud thud, ripping me out of my sleep. I started, my eyes flying open. I gasped, my heart racing. Something on my chest held me down—Monica. "Shh," she urged, rubbing her hand on my hip. "It's okay; calm down."

I surveyed the room, my eyes landing on two figures in the doorway—Persephone and Hades.

I grinned, my fear dissolving. "Persephone!"

"Apollo told me that you were awake, so I had to come and visit."

"And I also told you to be quiet!" Apollo poked his head into the room. "Artemis is supposed to rest."

"I'm fine," I said. I looked back at Persephone. "I'm so glad that you're here."

"Me too! I missed you so much, and you worried us sick."

The three of them moved further into my room, sitting beside my bed. Persephone reached forward and hugged me.

"Monica, you've met my brother, Apollo, but this is my sister, Persephone, and her husband, Hades. You know Persephone as Hana."

Monica bowed her head to them. "It is an honor to meet you, Your Majesties."

"Please call us by our first names," Hades said with a soft smile. "You are practically family."

"If you wish."

There was a pause, and I took the chance to speak up, "I'm guessing this is the part where I explain stuff again?"

Apollo grinned. "Preferably, yes."

"Well, after Zeus took me, he said that he would kill me right there. I tried to appeal it, but he got me with his lightning. I know he aimed to kill, but it didn't work—I haven't figured out why yet. Oddly enough, when I woke up, I couldn't remember anything. Can lightning do that? Give me partial memory loss?"

Apollo nodded. "Lightning can, in fact, make you lose your memory temporarily."

"Anyway, I got my memory back once I saw myself. Then I spoke with Hesperos again—"