|SIX

My adoptive parents' eyes immediately snapped to my new mark as soon as I stepped into the kitchen the next morning. I did that on purpose, of course—I wore a blouse that didn't have sleeves and ended a few inches above my chest. It also showed off my moonstone necklace. And I drew my hair back into a braid.

"Darling? Where did you get that?"

"I did it last night. Do you like it?"

"It's interesting. I like that you chose a triple moon."

"I saw it on my dagger."

I surprised myself with how I referred to Hekate as myself without difficulty. Since they are technically me, I really should start calling myself Artemis and Hekate. Should I call myself one goddess, though? Or both at once? I think I will just let whomever I am talking with decide it.

A bit after noon, Derek texted me to meet at the local café. I wondered what he wanted—definitely not to teach me more about the world of the supernatural. I teleported into the woods outside the café—making sure I was far in enough away from human eyes. I spotted him when I walked in and joined him at his table.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Hey," he greeted, smiling. "Remember how I told you when you got your godly gifts, we felt it?"

"Yeah..."

"Well, some of my pack members are uneasy with you living so close to us—you know, they're afraid of disrespecting you. So, I got thinking that maybe you could introduce yourself to them and reassure them you aren't do anything unprovoked."

I blinked. Me? Meet the pack? I just found out I rule over them! But, a voice in the back of my mind reminded me that I needed to see them at some point. And how cool would it be to meet another werewolf other than Derek and Erik?! "Um, yeah. That's fine with me. When should we do it?"

"Is tomorrow okay? And I thought we could have a BBQ as well. You know wolves and their meat."

I cracked a smile. "Yes, tomorrow works." For another half an hour or so, we talked. Then I headed back.

When the sun had set, Apollo dragged me outside—I almost put on my pajamas—and announced we're to work on my shadow manipulation and camouflage. Apparently, I can hide in the shadows and bend them to my will. Neat, right?

Apollo, first, had me call on the moon for strength. Literally, ask. I got in the lotus position and closed my eyes. In my mind, I asked for the moon to provide me with the strength and to aid me in my ability. I felt something shoot through me, and I guessed that was the moon's power. It resembled the feeling Tee gives me when I request hers but intensified tenfold. My veins buzzed with power—like I just pumped my body full of electricity.

I opened my eyes. "Okay, I'm ready."

"Great." He lit a bunch of lanterns. I realized he was making a shadow because of the night's hindrance. "Take this one and move it. Go slow; consider only an inch or two. I'll even accept a twitch." He pointed to a shadow.

I looked at the shadow as another being. I reached out to see if I could get a reaction from it and found it had an energy source. Mentally, I grabbed onto it and pulled it toward me. It didn't budge; it resisted me! I frowned and reached out again. It allowed me to sense it, but I noticed it pulled back against my hold when I went to draw it toward me.

Maybe I have to ask? I mean, I wouldn't want to be man-handled.

Hello? I sent the thought at the shadow. A sense of happiness washed over me. Is that the shadow?

Hello, my lady! I jumped back in shock. It responded! His, I determined, voice creeped me out a bit; it was low and raspy. Is there something my mistress requires?