|THIRTEEN

I have something to share, mistress, one of my Ισκιος told me when my feet touched the grass.

I closed the Gates behind me. What is it?

Your sacred deer is responsible for it. The deer saw a conversation between a wolf—he mentioned Zeus and you, my lady, in one sentence.

That's excellent! Where is Kamali?

Happiness oozed from the black shadow on the ground. With us, my lady.

They slithered in two different directions, revealing my beloved deer. I stroked Kamali's nose, and she nuzzled my palm. "What a brilliant detective you are, αγάπη. Show me the conversation, please."

"—any news on Artemis' whereabouts?" I instantly recognized this wolf: He is the wolf that smelled of disgust back at the introductory BBQ. God, that seems like ages ago. I knew that I should've investigated him further!

Then I took in the second man.

Zeus.

My heart kickstarted, and I had to remind myself that this is a memory. Zeus can't hurt you.

"No," Zeus responded, "I can't find her. She is careful in concealing herself."

"Well, don't worry too much, my lord. She has got to show her face soon."

I blinked, and Kamali replaced that scene. The notion that Zeus was so close to me without my knowledge sent ice through my veins. I reached out to pet Kamali. "Thank you, αγάπη."

I tried to ignore the tremor in my hand.

Hana met me at our bedroom door back at the pack. "I have news," I announced.

"What's wrong?"

"My familiar for Artemis showed me a vision of the traitor. I have to tell Derek."

Derek glanced up when we walked into his office, and the blood left his face. I winked, and he unconsciously rubbed the thin scar on his throat. He cleared his throat. "Oh, h-hi."

"I have information that might bring me to the traitor. I have identified the man, but I am without a name."

Do you have a drawing or-or a photo?"

"I'll do you one better." I sent him an image of the man through my mind-link. 

I watched Derek stare at nothing for a second. "I know who that is. The wolf's name is Jacob," Derek said. "I'll summon him now."

"Exceptional."

While Derek did his thing, I cloaked Hana and myself using Ισκιος. I wanted the element of surprise. Jacob strolled in a second later, and my blood boiled under my skin.

This is the man that almost got me killed. Again.

Hana placed a hand on my arm as I took a step forward. She sent me a warning look, and I relaxed. She's right. I need to keep my emotions in check.

"What's up, Alpha?" the sound of his voice grated against my ears.

Before Derek could answer, I cast my Ισκιος on him. They pinned his arms to his torso and bound his ankles. Jacob let out of cry of surprise and toppled to the floor. "What the hell? What? What are these?"

"Hello, Jacob," I spoke, stepping forward. "These are my Ισκιος, by the way."

"Who the hell are you?"