Chapter VIII - Love Lies

╣╠

"Can't stop thinking of your diamond mind

Careful creature

Made friends with time

He left her lonely with a diamond mind"

Ocean Eyes

Billie Eilish

╣╠

Chapter VIII - Love Lies

╣╠

My head throbbed like never before

My head throbbed like never before. The lack of oxygen and the world of confusion I woke up in had created some kind of super headache. The last thing I remember was seeing Ben jump in the water. I clung onto Ben's back as I regained my surroundings. Countless trees swish by but it didn't take me long to find out that we were heading in the wrong direction.

"Ben? Where are we going?" I question.

"Back to the castle, obviously." He says with a dull tone.

"What!? No! We can't go back." I tell him, rolling of his back even though he was running in a fully sprint. My hit the ground hard enough to realize the still damaged state I was in, everything just seems to ache, "We need to get the humans before they get to their rebel army."

"For Tash sake, Ash!" Ben astounded stopping so quickly that his paws left streaks in the dirt, "You almost died!"

"But I didn't!" I point out.

He rolls his eyes wildly, taking a deep sigh, "That's not the point! You need to get to full strength before you rush back into this."

"Ben, I will be fine. We don't have time for this and you know it." I justify relentlessly.

He stomps back over to me, allowing me a ride while I was still fatigued, "You're impossibly stubborn, you know that right?"

"One of my many talents." I smirk.

"Unlike swimming." He grumbles under his breath.

"Benvolio!" I gasp, flicking the back of his ear.

He just laughs in response heading back in the direction where we last saw the humans.

╣╠

It had been several hours since our last sign of the humans. Any trail of them had vanished passed the river. Not to mention Benvolio and I were out of our tracking element. Almost every bit of snow had melted, we had only ever learned to track with snow which was fairly simple. Every track indented the snow and every color change would stand out against the pure white. Now our surroundings were filled with color and multiple hard surfaces that wouldn't clear tracks.