Chapter XVII - The World has a Different Plan for Us

╣╠

"Wish I knew what you're thinking.

Words don't come that easy.

We might be broken by design."

Say

Ruel

╣╠

Chapter XVII - The World has a Different Plan for Us

╣╠

"Excellent

"Excellent. You improve more and more every day." Aslan praises me with a smile. I offer a smile back, letting my body rest from making the winds kick up dirt all around us. "Speaking of progression. It won't be necessary to train Peter today."

"Is something wrong?" I ask. I was actually hoping to talk to him today after our disagreement last night.

"Quite the opposite actually, I've hoped to officially make him a Knight of Narnia." He informs me proudly, "I've been watching in on your training sessions. He certainly has improved monumentally."

"You're welcome," I boast, teasingly.

"To prove his skills, he will duel with Robin Hood this afternoon. If he proves his swordsmanship in the field and reigns victorious, he will be knighted." Aslan discloses.

I raise my eyebrows at the new challenge of Peter's techniques, "I can confidently say you will have a new knight of Narnia by the end of the day."

"That would also grant your freedom by the end of the day." He expresses to me, making me stop in my tracks to look the lion, not believe what I heard. "Once a knight, Peter will no longer need your expertise in training."

I was shocked, honestly it seemed like just yesterday I was spying for my mother on a rock a half kilometer out. It all seemed to be unfolding so fast.

"What about our training?" I question, feeling a bit offended that my training relies solely on Peter, "I still haven't mastered this magic."

"I have taught you all you require, the rest you will learn in time on your own. Magic is never truly mastered, but grown upon to the full extent of your abilities." Aslan explains making me wonder how much more I had to learn. "It has been a pleasure, Miss. Ashton."

We begin walking again as I stumble to find the correct words, "I don't know what to say."

"A 'thank you' in this situation would be just fine," Aslan advises with a glint of humor.

I wasn't raised with the basic mannerisms. Everything that was done as part of a deal. Nothing was ever free so words of gratefulness were never used. But Aslan has taught me more than we agreed, whether he intended to originally or not. I never expected to learn that respect did not need to be sprung out of fear. It was earned, mutually. Respect with fear is taming a human. Even tamed dogs will bite, all they need is a strong enough appetite. True respect is stronger than that.