Chapter Thirty-Seven

September, the month where all the leaves begin to turn yellow, orange, and red. It was the month of Isabella's. Also mine and Derek's birthday.

Not a lot changed since that night, I just went back to my home, doing the things I did before ever fighting against James...

I was sitting on my bed, notebooks, books, grimoires from that room splayed open on my bed. If what I read is correct, the night of the equinox, the air is filled with magic. The next equinox of autumn is used by witches to seal and unseal things.

And this year, the equinox is also at the same time as a blood moon, a lunar eclipse. One of the nights where magic is at its peak. When the moon right the highest point, it's the most potent moment to use sealing or unsealing magic. 

Let's just hope this will work. I've been reading these all night and I haven't slept yet. I'm pretty sure I got bags under my eyes and I probably look like the dead.

Putting my hair up in a messy bun, after putting a pair of jeans on with an oversized cream sweater, I walked down the stairs after smelling the delicious scent of eggs and bacon. As I walked through the threshold of the kitchen, I saw from the corner of my eye my brother sitting down next to a man.

I recognized him instantly.

Paul.

As soon as I walked in the kitchen, his gaze rose to mine, the cocky smile he wore while talking to my brother faltered slightly, his expression turned soft, his gaze, warm.

My heartbeat sped up under his gaze.

"Hey."

"Hi." I politely answered him, turning my gaze to my brother, who now was in front of the stove, handing me a plate with eggs, bacon, and a toast on it. His gaze flickered between me and Paul and I sat down at the table to eat, pulling out the biology assignment that was given to me earlier this week. 

My family walked into the kitchen and everyone took a plate that Derek handed them, and they sat down, my uncle Dominic talked with Paul, while my younger siblings sat around me. Well, Specifically, my younger brother sat in my lap, while my younger sister was bugging Derek to cook faster.

She's got such a spoiled brat attitude...

       My uncle and Paul were chatting quietly to each other. I wonder what they were talking about. Then, both my younger sister complained about wanting to sit next to Derek, and thus, Paul changed place with where she was supposed to sit, the tall and muscular young man ended up sitting next to me. Sebastian's stare didn't leave Paul while he ate, his eyebrows furrowed. While I ate, I ran a hand through Seb's hair, and I couldn't help but notice the intense warmth radiating off of the Quileute teen since he was so close to me.

I could feel my cheeks redden slightly at his proximity.

What is wrong with me? 

I mean, we've barely talked to each other, and yet he has such an effect on me?

Whatever...this... was, needed to stop immediately.

After finishing my breakfast, I went into my bedroom and grabbed everything  I'd need for the school day and put them into my backpack. Someone knocked on my door and I turned my head slightly.

" Come in."

There, through the slight opening of the door, was my cousin's head.

" Hey... I don't want to go to school with Derek today... can you drop me off?" He asked, flustered, his cheeks a little more red than usual.

" Sure."

     He practically ran out of the room, slamming the door close and I could hear him grab everything he needed before I left as if I'd leave without him.