PROLOGUE: The Meeting

Author's Note:

This is a spin-off of my first story 'A Sacrifice To Remember' which is a story about Liam, Kendra and Mia and the events that took place before they ended up at the hospital. This story can also be read as a stand alone.

____________________________________

"There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment." ― Sarah Dessen,
The Truth About Forever

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mia's POV

I grabbed a magazine from the table in front of me and pretended to read but my mind was far from the words printed on paper.

I took my eyes off the book for a minute to scan the halls as I watched Liz and Michael play with their son Max. Even though Liz had a smile on her face, she was just as scared as I was for Liam who was the only brother she had in this world and was now fighting for his life.

If it weren't for him, I would've lost my best friend Kendra today. I watched as she paced the halls and placed a hand on her flat tummy. She moved her lips silently to say a quiet prayer for the man she loved who was currently undergoing surgery.

She'd always pray when caught in deep situations and situations like this needed a lot of prayers. Liam was everything to her and she would give anything to make sure he survived the gunshot wound.

After what felt like an eternity, Kendra  was summoned to the room where Liam lay. Even though everyone was itching to go in with her, myself included, she was the only one needed for now.

I dropped the magazine back on the table, walked to the coffee machine to pour myself a cup of espresso and forget the ugly fact that I desperately needed a bath.

I took one sip from the disposable cup, and then another. I closed my eyes to inhale the strong scent of my coffee and smiled when the aroma filled my nostrils. I raised my lashes just in time to find a figure walk in.

Under the vapour steaming from my cup I could still take in his magnificent appearance.

I'd never seen a man like him before.

His deep brown hair was in a tousle but yet neatly arranged and some of it fell to his chisselled triangular face. His brown eyes sparkled like that of an innocent child who knew no sin.

He had tan skin like the Italian gods and billionaires I'd read about in romance novels. He wore denim trousers, a white T-shirt, a black leather jacket and a pair of white trainers that shined even in a dark corner.

His clothes hung on his body like it was tailored perfectly to suit his build and height. He was tall and smelled rich and had an aura of someone who was not to be messed with. So why did I feel like he was the devil and I'd go to hell for him?

He looked so casual and ever so breathtaking.

He walked up to Michael, Liz's husband and the two exchanged handshakes and smiled at each other, he went to Liz and hugged her so tightly as he kissed her cheek. He must've been well acquainted with the family, which brings me to how come I never knew him?

I've known the Bates since Liam and Kendra started dating and I'm more like a part of their little family in a way. This little stranger I've never met was who exactly? Where did he crawl from?