Chapter 10: Roberta

I lay awake, looking at the ceiling. My thoughts wander towards Adrian and our little encounter this evening.

He's a tough man to read, his expressions are buried deep and I can't easily access them. One minute he's hot and the next he's cold and then he goes back to being hot again.

Men!

I can't help but feel a little sympathy for him because deep down I think he's hurt and he doesn't want to let me or anyone in.

What is that mystery about you Adrian Parker?

I look at my hands and remember him kissing them. His lips felt warm on my palms and for a second I didn't think of the pain, only the pleasure which his lips held.

Why am I so freaking drawn to you? Why don't you open up?

I have so many questions to ask him but I'm going to tread lightly for now because the reaction I got today really put him on edge.

I don't care how many times you push me away Adrian but I'm willing to find out as much about you as I can.

My eyes flutters shut as I drift into sleep.

***

"Good morning miss"

The cook Roberta greeted me with the warmest smile and her spanish accent. Though in her middle age but she looks gorgeous in her brown skin, dark hair with a hint of grey and beautiful brown eyes. She still looks fit as a fiddle and I wish I'll look half as good as she does when I'm her age.

"Good morning ma'am"

"Oh no miss you don't need to be so formal with me."

She waves a hand of dismissal at me

"You can call me Roberta, that's what Mr Parker calls me."

"Okay...Roberta"

"That's much better miss"

"But you also have to stop calling me miss. My name's Mia"

"Okay Miss Mia"

I laugh

"No no just Mia"

"Okay Mia"

"That's it!"

Roberta has a vibrant spirit and she seems fun to be with.

"I've made breakfast would you like to eat now?"

"Oh you shouldn't have I can cook my own meals"

"No Mia, that's what Mr Parker called me here to do so please let me do it"

"Called you here?"

I look confused

"Aren't you working for him already?"

"I am but in his other apartment. You see..."

She brings out a plate of toast and eggs.

"Mr Parker told me that he'll be having a guest in the penthouse and I should come here instead"

"So who's going to help him there?"

She shrugs her shoulders

"Come sit Mia let me get you a cup of coffee"

"Isn't Mr Parker coming out for breakfast?"

I asked when I didn't see any sign of Adrian

"He left early, he told me to tell you that you shouldn't afford to be late or he'll know"