Chapter Three

Chapter Three

                “Everyone, meet our new exchange employee. He’s from our office in Cebu, Jarred.” I heard Boss Rex say as I hurriedly approach my cubicle. My hair looks like it’s all over the place. It always does. Nevertheless, I was still not used to seeing myself like that. Or I’m still at the stage of denial. Denial of the fact that I am really ugly. Or not pleasant-looking. Whatever.

                “Hey, he’s cute.” Mariel came up to me. She looks as if she’s high on drugs, her face flushed red.

                “Who?” I asked. Feeling a little out of place.

                “Jarred! Who else!” Her eyes widened, like I’m the most stupid girl in the universe.

                “Who’s Jarred?” I asked her again.

                She never bothered to answer. She rolled her eyes and walk out.

                “Thanks! Bimbo.” I uttered to myself. And she never heard that of course. Or else, I’m doomed.

                Later that day, I found myself munching on tons of food and pigging out (okay, I’m being exaggerated. But you see, it’s something Cosmo girls can’t do). Between rice and sinigang, I heard, “Miss, can I share a table with you? I can’t find a seat”.

No, this can’t be. I’m just hallucinating. The voice sounds familiar, I know right. But that’s just too much for this day.

                “Miss?” Okay, I concede. I turned around to see who on the world I have conjured this time. And to my surprise, I saw those familiar brown eyes meeting my bespectacled ones. Isn’t that great? I’m so overjoyed because it feels like we’re meant to be. Suddenly, I saw a resemblance of him and Ryan Gosling. This is it, finally—my own Noah Calhoun!

                “Oh, hi. Sure you may.” I tried to sound as casual as possible, attempting to cover all the tensions building up inside me. What was he doing in our office canteen by the way?

                “Uy, thank you ha. I knew you were kind.” And then he smiled.

                “Oh, please. It’s just a table” I said, trying to be cool with all my might.

                He smiled. “We’ve crossed our paths several times but I didn’t get you name.”

                “Raffie.” I finally said. “My name’s Raffie.”

                “Jarred!!! My gosh, fancy meeting you here.” It was my Mariel. The ever perky bimbo. I was still

wondering why Mr. Brown eyes was here. And from the looks of it, Mariel knows him. She even called

him “Jarred”.

Wait, so he’s Jarred? Oh. My. Goodness.

                I learned at that instant that it is indeed a small world. And as of the moment, my world is turning retrograde. My mind was filled with so much anticipation. From now on, Mr. Brown eyes and I will be officemates. From now on, I will get to see him more often. From now on, I will get higher probability of sharing a table with him. From now on, I’ll never have to call him Mr. Brown eyes anymore, because I know now that his name is Jarred. And that sounds right. I don’t know if it was short for something. But “Jarred” sounds so right. I smiled.

                “Raffie, is it okay?” I heard Jarred say.

                “What were you saying?” I’m so sorry I wasn’t paying attention. I’m preoccupied by those eyes, those luscious lips…

                “I said, I’ll go ahead now, I’ll just see you around. Okay?”

                “Uhm, yeah. Sure.” I said. I’ll just see you around… That sounds exciting!

                He smiled at me again before he left. And I was dumb founded. I never had such motivation to go to work before. Sana kahit Linggo may pasok sa office! Wishful thinking.