Chapter Four

Chapter Four    

Now this is ridiculous, suddenly I felt like it’s my first time to have a crush on somebody. I always put up flimsy excuses to see him. And whenever he’s busy, I stare at him. And he wouldn’t know. I wouldn’t let him anyway.

                “Raffie, you going now?” He asked me one night. We were the only ones left in the office. Jarred’s some sort of workaholic, too. He likes to stay up for over times. Just like me. My reason was I don’t have anything to do at home. I wonder what Jarred’s reason is. Whatever it is, I’m happy he stays with me tonight.

                “Yeah. How about you? Are you going home now?” Just to return the question and to hopefully start a conversation.

                “Yep. Sabay na tayo.” He offered.

                That’s just perfect. I’ve been waiting all my life for you to take me home. I said to myself.I smiled sweetly. I hope he noticed.

                Just as soon as we got out the building, heavy rain poured. I was thinking of divine intervention and the fact saddened me.

                “Raffie, do you have an umbrella?” Jarred asked. We were both starting to get drenched now. And I remembered I had an umbrella! Sweet! It pays to be a dork sometimes!

                “Uhm,yeah.. Yes, I do!” A line I have been waiting to deliver—but this time in a different context.

                “Well, bring it up now, I’m drenched, you’re drenched, we might get sick.” He looked at me. Was that a concerned look? I hope so.

                And so we shared an umbrella. The last time, we shared a table, and now we shared an umbrella. Romantically beside each other as the rain gushes away the sanity in me, I wished the rain would never stop. If only. And just like it always does, I was caught in a trance. I looked forward to things I could eventually share with him. I am willing to share with him my favorite food as long as he’s willing to share with me his smile. I am willing to share my thoughts with him, as long as he’s willing to share his time with me. I am… Well, I am willing to share my heart and life with him as long as he’s willing to share with me his last name. The thought made me smile. I hope we could get more “sharing moments” in the future.

                We hailed a taxi and hurried on our way.  Inside, I fixed myself. I took off my glasses and gave it a good wipe.

                “You look more beautiful minus the large-framed glasses of yours, Raffie.” He casually said, and it sounded really natural. Natural and true. I didn’t know he was staring at me.

                I looked up and our eyes met. I see there’s something inside those brown eyes. And I was wondering if he was seeing the same thing in mine. And it came to me, I presume it was this thing called “mini heart attack”. My heart started to beat faster; I felt my blood rush all over the right places. These things were all foreign to me. I looked into his eyes deeper, and right there and then, I diagnosed my case: I am in love with Jarred.

                “Thank You, Jarred.” I said, before I got out of the taxi.

                “Change clothes immediately so you won’t get sick, Flu virus is everywhere.” I heard him say.

                “Yes, I will. You too. Take care. Goodnight.” And I closed the taxi door shut.

                I stood there until the cab was out of my sight. We’re friends now. I felt my jaw stiffened, I realized I’ve been holding that smile for quite some time now. This was the first time in my entire life that I ever felt really happy. I don’t have a lot of friends, alright. And I really didn’t care. But this time, it’s different. Being friends with Jarred is a totally different feeling. It scares the hell out of me, but somehow, I sensed the drive to entertain this thing. For now, I’m gonna hold it inside me. I am happy now, and honestly, that’s all that matters as of the moment.

                I changed my clothes and went to bed.

                “Papa Jesus, let me have this one, please.” I begged in my prayers. And just as when I’m about to lay myself to rest, my phone beeped.

                                “Hope ur ok now.

                                I’v changed clothes oredi.

                                See u tomorrow. Goodnight, Raffie.”

                I could not believe it. Well, it’s been Jurassic years since my phone last rang. And I’ve been using it as an alarm clock now. Considering that fact, plus the fact that Jarred was the one who sent that message, I was drugged. I was overloaded with shots of Love potion. I was bitten by a thousand love bugs. Never mind the stiff jaw, I smiled.

                I slept like a baby.