Chapter Six

Chapter Six

What Jarred and I have is so amazing. I mean, we’re like, lovers but not quite. A little more than being just friends, I would like to presume. There are times that I get the hint that he feels the same way I do, but I guess he was just as coward as I am because we won’t risk the friendship.

                “Are we going to Thessa’s party?” He asked me as we prepare to go home. Jarred has just bought himself a car now, and I, being the closest girl to him (among all the girls in the office, that is), holds the privilege of a hitch.

                “I really don’t know yet. I haven’t discussed that with Mom.” I answered because I still haven’t, and I tell everything to my Mom. It’s one thing I vowed myself to do, since my Dad left us for another girl. I promised that I would tell everything to my Mom because she matters a lot to me. She’s like, my best friend. Ever.

                “That’s not a problem. I will tell Tita about it. That is, if you really want to go.” He calls my Mom Tita, and boy, my Mom likes him a lot (for me). For the past few months, Jarred has been a regular staple to my family. He has become an extension, frequently dropping by for lunch and dinner. And somehow, my Mom got used to him. She even told me that the way her instincts go, she’s sensing that Jarred is a nice man. I take this as a good thing. My Mom should really like him. Because I love Jarred.

                “Okay then. Have it your way.” I jokingly said. “I’ll be your chaperone again, and I’ll be left with no one just in case Mariel decides to take you away from me.” Like he’s yours, Raffie.

                “C’mon, you’re jealous!!” Jarred gave me a wide grin. Gwapo as ever.

                To this I answered, “Of course not! Why would I be jealous?”

                “Then why are you so worried that I might leave you to be with Mariel?”

                “I am worried because if I am coming with you, you should at least be considerate enough to spend the whole night with me.”

                “See, that’s what I’ve been talking about. Oh, jealous lady, she wants me only to herself. Hahaha!” Jarred is really good at teasing me, and I felt all red up on my face.

                “You’re even blushing. You know, the fact that I asked you to come with me only means that I want to be with you.” He said, still smiling.

                I want to be with you. The problem with all these echoes in my head is that it only selects those good words I want to hear. And there goes my heart beat again.

                “Raffie, are you coming with me or not?”

                “What if I am not?” I asked.

                Jarred did not answer. But he put on his sad face, like the ones he uses when he’s asking for something, and we coined this facial expression as, “Papasa naman ng load face.”

                “Jarred! You always get me with that look! Okay, pick me up at 8:00.” I conceded.

                “I got you now, honey.” And then a wink.

                My heart. Where did it fell?

                “Rafaella, could you please calm down?” My mom shouted as I was consistently going up and down the stairs, in and out of my room and tossing and turning every piece of clothing I own.