Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

                Last night, I received an email from Kevin.

                Hey Ella. Just wanna let you know that I decided go back to the US—for good. Being here gives me such a hard time. I won’t fool myself. I had to run away from you. That’s the only way I could let you go. Anyway, my flight’s on Tuesday. I guess you’re right. This is goodbye.

                I honestly did not know how I felt about that. I was sad and relieved at the same time. If Kevin decides to give way for me and Jarred, maybe, just maybe, it’s not yet too late.

                I took Kevin’s message as a sign. I reached for my phone and dialed Jarred’s number. To hell with my pride, I won’t let my man slip away.

                There goes the longest moment of my life. It all boils down to that moment of truth. In movies and tv, there’s always an epic moment. That Breakfast Club ending, or when we found out that Darth Vader is Luke’s father, or when the Karate Kid kicks the hell out of his opponent, or whenever Barney Stinson comes with a plan in mind and shouts that it’s gonna be legendary, or whenever Sheldon Cooper blurts out, “bazinga”. Any pivotal moment of life—well, this one’s mine. Waiting for Jarred to pick up his phone, so that I could get to tell him how sorry I am, and how much I love him.

                “Hello?”

                “Hi. Listen, Jarred, I know it has been months.”

                “Raffie, look, I still can’t deal with this yet.”

                “Oh no, no, Jarred, don’t hang up just yet. Please.”

                He let out a sigh.

                I continued, “Please baby, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Please don’t give up on me.”

                “I’m sorry Raffie.” He hangs up.

                Now, if there’s one thing I’m most certain of, it’s that I have to get Jarred back. And I’m gonna do whatever it takes. It didn’t end with that phone call, I knew Jarred deserves more than that. So what I’m planning to do next is quite a move—I’m going to his house, serenade him and ask for him to take me back.

                I carefully planned for my move. Picked a song, rehearse with all my might and dressed to kill. I seek for my mother’s blessing and I got her full support. Just as when I’m about to go to his house my phone rang. It’s Kevin.

                “Hi, Kevin. Look, I’m kind of in a hurry right now. I’ll just call you back, alright?” I said dismissively.

                To which he replied, “Ella, today’s Tuesday.”

                And right, it was Tuesday. I remembered, today’s his flight. I felt so bad about myself.

                “Oh. Kevin. I’m sorry. I’m really…” checked the time,

                “No, Ella, I just phoned in to say goodbye, that’s all. And also, Go get Jarred.” He chuckled. I was surprised.        

                “Thanks, Kevin. You’re the best.” I smiled.

                “Have a good life, Ella. I’ll miss you.”