Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

                Things are running smoothly between me and Jarred. We both loved each other as if there will be no tomorrow and it was a good thing. I can say that I am the happiest girl in the world whenever I’m with him—and that’s almost every day. I never imagined my life without him, until the inevitable happened.

                “Babe, Boss Rex told me about the promotion.” Jarred put up the discussion while we are having dinner.

                “Yeah, the one you’ve been telling me about. You nailed it? I enthusiastically asked him.

                “Yes.”

                “Oh, this is so great! I’m proud of you, baby. Cheers!” I held my glass of champagne for a toast.

                “There’s a catch. I will be sent back again to Cebu.”

                I went blank. Finally I managed to utter, “And you accepted it?”

                “Yes.” He replied.

                “Okay. So how many months will you stay there?”

                “I don’t know yet babe. Maybe a year or two. Depends. Look, we have to start saving for our wedding.”

                “Wedding?”

                “Alright. I don’t have the talent for this. But, I just want to be sure. You know, you and me, together, forever?” he took a deep breath before he continued, “And for that matter, I want to ask you. Rafaella Martinez, will you marry me?”

                I was in awe. Suddenly, there were flashes of future striking in: Martinez-Ramos Nuptial.

                “Yes! Yes!” I said just how Archimedes shouted Eureka! I was crying all the joy out of my chest. Finally, after two years, we are engaged.

                But just then, Jarred has to leave for Cebu. And he left me with no other choice but to deal with the ever elusive concept of long distance love affair. But we were so positive about this and we know that we will make things work. When he comes back, we will get married, and as the cliché goes, we will live happily ever after. I am so positive about these things and thought that we are strong to win this trial.

                “Don’t forget me ha?” I childishly said as we get to the airport on the day of his flight.

                “Come on, it’s just Cebu. I can go visit you on my free time.” He said.

                Before he got in, he whispered how much he loves me, and I believed him with all of my heart. I was certain that there will be no other man in my life like him. I cried because I know I’ll miss him, but we have to take this sacrifice for a brighter and happier future together.

                The next day, I felt like the old Raffie again. I don’t feel like rolling out of my bed and didn’t bother if I was late for work. All I want to do is get back to sleep in the hope of maybe waking up until Jarred comes back.

                But then I went to work, super heavy hearted. Jarred has just called, and my mood was supposed to be lightened, but it did not. I don’t know why. I got gloomier when I saw that Jarred’s table  was emptied. The vibes that he’s now in Cebu started to really sink in. suddenly, I felt all alone again. And I hate that feeling. I thought I’ll never feel that way again, but surprise, surprise, I am feeling that way today. I’m close to crying. And by the end of the day, I did.