Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

We really do not know what’s going on between the two of us. All we know is that we are more than friends and a little less than lovers. That is of course, because of Jarred. I feel like I am in the deepest, darkest, worst part of me because I gave in to the call of selfishness and betrayal.

There are times when I just want to stop, leave Kevin and be faithful to Jarred. Ironically, during those times, Kevin makes me feel how much I need to be with him.

“Hello, sweet pie. I just dropped by to check if you are okay. I’m having a meeting with some investors at a nearby restaurant and I felt like I missed you so I went here.” He explains during one of his surprise visits.

The thing with being with Kevin is that I always feel at ease. Like a familiar pillow after a long days work. Or my favorite summer dress on a lazy Sunday afternoon. With him, there are no adjustments that should be made, and there are no expectations to keep up. We are friends, we have been friends for so long and most importantly, we feel special about each other.

Not that I don’t love Jarred anymore, I do. It’s just that Jarred is so…….. I don’t know, maybe so far away. And Kevin was there at the moment Jarred was not. As I ran out of reasons why I need Kevin, I also ran out of reasons why I still need Jarred. But what puzzles me is that I don’t want to lose Jarred. Or both. I don’t want to lose them both. Maybe Mom wasn’t right. Who knows? Maybe I can have the best of both worlds. Torn between two lovers, feeling like a fool. Loving both of you is breaking all the rules.

I’ve watched a movie once, the girl was confused between a habit and a dream. I can very well relate to that. Kevin is my habit, and Jarred is my dream. I can’t figure out who is more important and whom I could not live without the most.

What I admire most about Kevin is that he does not take advantage of the situation. He never tried to kiss me even once, and he never demanded for more than the company I can give him. That’s why I say that we aren’t really a couple. Maybe we just like to be around each other most of the times.

“Listen Ella, I know this is hard and intricate for both of us. But this is more ideal than not having to be with you at all. Sure, I’d love to be yours and I’d really be delighted if you would be mine, but I don’t want to push you to something that might not make you happy. I will always be your friend no matter what. And I will be waiting for you for as long as I could.” He often tells me. And I’d like to believe that.

I woke up the following day feeling all different. I sense that something about this day will not turn out right. Nevertheless, I continued with my morning rituals.

I went to the office and everyone was acting weird. The moment they saw me enter the room they exaggeratedly seem so busy and because everyone was so darn busy with pretending they were busy, no one found the time to greet me.

“Hello? Good morning?” I tauntingly interjected. Nobody reacted. Okay. This is all weird. And it gets even weirder by the minute.

I sat down and booted my computer. To my surprise, the desktop background goes like, “I love you, let’s get married.” My brows furrowed. I never gave anyone the authorization to mess with my computer. So, who did this?

I turned my swivel chair and take a good look around. This is not a good joke. I swear, if Mariel is the one responsible for this, I’d kill her. She has no right to play with my feelings this way.

All of my officemates are looking at me with this “kilig” in their eyes. I can never understand why until Jarred popped out in front of me.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, with shock more dominantly manifested in my voice rather than excitement.