15: Life or Death

Six days.

Anna had been in a coma for six days. So for six days, the Trio had been worried out of their minds. They visited Anna often, but Harry had seen her the most.

He felt empty without his best blonde companion. The poor girl had just been trying to comfort Hermione, she did nothing to deserve such a horrible accident.

Speaking of the raven-haired boy, he was sitting at the girl's bedside. Ron and Hermione had just left to get dinner so he had the Hospital Wing to himself. Madame Pomfrey was in her office, as she had been trying to give the grieving boy privacy...especially after the news she had just given him.

If Anna didn't wake up from the coma in three days, they would have no choice but to send her to St. Mungo's, where final decisions would be made.

Poppy Pomfrey had tried everything to revive her. She miraculously mended the girl's cracked skull and stitched the broken skin as well. Unfortunately, she had to shave half of her head to get to the injury.

Harry had taken the news decently well, or so it seemed on the surface. The boy wasn't much of a crier. The Dursley's never taught him that it was okay to show emotion. In sight of others, he just looked blank-faced and depressed. Alone, he definitely shed a few tears.

He also had a horrible tendency of talking to the girl. It was sweet, but he definitely talked to her more than the conscious people around him. Sometimes he would come in and just tell her how his day had been, other times he would read assigned chapters from textbooks out loud to her.

But most of the time, he would convince her that she would be strong enough to make it. Or he would talk about how he felt lost without her and how much she meant to him.

"Today was okay," started the boy, gazing down at Anna's seemingly peaceful expression. It was as if she were sleeping...minus the half-shaved head. He had grown used to it and actually thought it was kind of cool. "Classes were odd without you, as usual. Snape picked on me today, I've just about had enough of the 'greasy git', as Ron would say. I just-"

Harry was cut off by the sound of the door opening. He was met with the sight of Draco Malfoy.

"Malfoy?" he asked bitterly. "Why are you here?"

The boy scoffed. "Why are you here, Potter? She's my cousin. And why were you talking to yourself? Have you gone mad?"

"I'm here because she's my best friend," he muttered, ignoring the last part of the question.

"I've heard you've been here too much, thought you may have finally been gone to get dinner," started Malfoy. He sat in the chair on the other side of her bed, making himself comfortable. "You're gonna die of malnutrition, Potter. You came into the school looking like you've been starved your whole life, you're probably not even gonna make it out."

"Sorry we aren't all spoiled gits like you."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Just eat a sandwich, Potter, it's not that hard."

Harry just ignored him, taking a sudden interest in the Potions textbook he had brought with him. He had planned on reading it to Anna, but decided to do so later.

Yet the blond boy kept talking. "So, Potter, do you just sit here all day?"

"None of your business."

"Boring...hm, fits you-"

"Can you just leave?" asked Harry irritably. "You have no reason to come here-"

"She's my cousin!" exclaimed Draco, his grey eyes wide. "And besides, I'm just trying to converse with you, Potter, stop being so ungrateful."

"Thanks for blessing me with your presence, but I think I've had enough," grumbled Harry.