17: Happy To Be Back

e d i t e d

The previous evening, Anna had come out of her coma. Nobody was allowed to see her just yet, as Madame Pomfrey would just shoo them away. Still, Harry couldn't help but go back to visit first thing next morning.

Rumors had spread already that she was out of the coma, but Madame Pomfrey was very selective of who could see the girl.

Harry creeped into the Hospital Wing. The nurse was nowhere to be found and the boy gave a sigh of relief. His emerald eyes fell upon the only inhabited bed.

Anna's figure rose and fell with each soft breath. She was sleeping peacefully. While Harry felt bad as he approached her, he still gently shook her awake.

She gave a groan, her grey eyes groggy as she asked, "Hmm, Harry? What are you doing here?"

"I had to see you," started Harry, sitting on the edge of her bed. "I had to make sure you were okay."

"I'm fine, not in a coma anymore."

"But I can tell there's something wrong, please-"

Anna frowned and shook her head, rolling over. "I'm tired, I'm going back to sleep."

Harry was right, though. Despite living, she didn't seem to have much lfie to her. She was very quiet and had a permanent look of sadness on her face. Little did anyone know, she had a whole purgatory experience in the past week, having to make a literal life or death decision.

"Please, Anna," whispered Harry, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Did you not want to come back?"

The girl became still immediately. A chill crept down her spine as she forced herself to turn and look at him. "Where did you get that idea from?"

"Oh, erm, I'm not sure. I didn't mean that you had the choice to be in a coma, I just meant that you seemed unhappy that you were back."

"And what if I did have the choice?" asked Anna quietly with a frown. "Would it have been wrong to stay in such a peaceful state?"

Harry was taken aback, a bit unsure of what she was talking about. "Did...did you allow yourself to be in a coma?"'

"Maybe."

"Anna, do you know how worried everyone was?" asked the boy, exasperated. "Do you know how much time I spent with you? That I was afraid I would never see you living again?"

"Yes, Harry, I know!" she exclaimed as her eyes welled with tears. "It just...it was so nice there!"

"Where?"

She shook her head. "I'm not sure. It was a place between life and death. My mum was there...she asked if I wanted to stay with her or come back here."

"And you didn't want to come back?" asked Harry blandly.

"I-I just wanted to spend time with her. You have to understand."

The two sat in silence for a bit, unable to meet each other's gaze. Harry felt almost betrayed in a way. He would've done anything for Anna to survive, yet she considered throwing her life away.

"So, what made you come back?"

Anna finally looked at him, remorse in her eyes. "You know how you just asked if I know how much time you spent with me? Well, I do know. I heard every word from you and anyone who visited me...even Draco. I know it would've been cool to stay with my mum, but leaving this would've been a waste. Still, I feel like I missed out on having a mother."

Harry nodded. "I'm sorry, Anna, I didn't mean to snap on you-"

"No, I deserved it," she said with a chuckle. She raised her hand to move her hair, but immediately realized half of her head was shaved. "Oh gosh, how horrendous does this look? Madame Pomfrey better not let me go to classes like this."