chapter 3

The next day after a night of well deserved rest, Katie and Cherry gathered together with Bud and Michelle to witness greatness in the little town in Britain they were all in. There was a news crew ready to film Willy Wonka as the world would see him once again after years and years of a hiatus. Cherry looked around and saw the children around her who looked a bit younger than her. There was the tubby German boy, Augustus, accompanied by his mother. Spoiled little Veruca Salt with her wish granting 'daddy'. Competitive Violet with her nervous looking father. And of course, Mike Teevee looking hazy eyed from the results of endless television with his mother, looking like she was just as quirky.

"I can't believe we're really here." Katie gushed, then looked down at a blonde boy who was with his mother. "Are you going in the factory too, Charlie?"

"No," the boy named Charlie shook his head. "I couldn't get a ticket, so Mum and I are just gonna watch you all go in."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." Katie frowned a bit.

"You know that boy?" Cherry asked, noticing Katie talking with the seemingly polite boy.

Katie nodded with a smile. "Charlie Bucket, such a lovely boy. I'll tell you more later. I was hoping he'd get a ticket since his grandfather had wanted to see Mr. Wonka for a long time. Too bad I can be your only guest."

"Yeah..." Cherry felt guilty and sympathetic for the poor boy.

Everyone's chatters were quieted once the clock tolled ten times to alert them it was time to go to the factory. Everyone's eyes stayed on the doors as they waited for the whimsical candy man who is Willy Wonka with the five lucky others to go into his prized factory. Katie and Cherry looked closely as the glass doors opened to reveal Mr. Wonka to the public.

Cherry's eyes widened as she saw Mr. Wonka for the first time. He wore beige pants with brown shoes, a purple coat and a matching top hat over his frizzy auburn curly hair. Mr. Wonka walked over to the public with his cane, looking like he had aged with his factory business. Everyone was very quiet as he came forward. Cherry bit her fist as Mr. Wonka dropped his can, fell forward, but preformed a flip on the ground in front of the children which made an uproar with the crowd. Cherry joined the others in clapping and Katie looked very captivated by Mr. Wonka's appearance.

"Thank you, thank you," Mr. Wonka thanked the crowd numerous times with a charming smile as he came closer to the gate to let the winners inside. "My friends, welcome to my chocolate factory. Would you come forward please?"

Cherry ran with Augustus, Violet, Veruca, and Mike as she held her golden ticket secure. Katie couldn't help but giggle at Cherry's youthful optimism. She was indeed dark and serious at times, but even Cherry had an inner child.

"Hello, welcome, it's so nice of you to come," Mr. Wonka spoke softly to the five guests. "Now, if you could please show me your tickets."

The kids did as told as Cherry stood behind Mike TeeVee. He looked up at her and took out a toy gun, looking mighty fierce.

"Reach for the sky!" Mike drawled in a Western accent after watching a lot of television specials about it.

"How 'bout no?" Cherry scoffed, chuckling lightly as the parents came for their children.

"My, you look a little big for someone your age, were you held back?" Mr. Wonka joked about Cherry being a bit older than the other children.

"I'm 17," Cherry chuckled. "My name's Cherry."

"Cherry, what a nice name for a nice looking lady," Mr. Wonka smiled, then looked at Katie. "Is this your sister? Mother? Cousin?"

"I'm her friend," Katie revealed. "We're like sisters though, she's on vacation and this is her last day with me before she goes back home."