chapter 10

The girls followed Willy as he went to his office after they took off their coats and goggles.

"So much to do, so much to do," Willy mumbled to himself. "Invoices and bills, letters, I must answer that note from the Queen."

"Mr. Wonka, do you know what happened to those kids?" Cherry asked. "Augustus? Veruca?"

"My dear girl, I promise you they'll be quite alright," Willy ruffled up her hair as he took off his hat and sat down to get down to business. "When they leave here, they'll be completely restored to their normal, terrible old selves. But maybe, they'll be a little bit wiser for the wear. Anyway, don't worry about them."

"Um, Willy, isn't there anything else you wanna tell us?" Katie asked, remembering the promised prize the final child would get at the end of the tour.

"Oh yes," Willy shook their hands. "I hope you enjoyed yourselves. Excuse me for not showing you out. Straight up the stairs, you'll find the way, I'm terribly busy, whole day wasted, goodbye to you both, goodbye."

"But sir!" Cherry squeaked.

"I'm extraordinarily busy, young lady."

"What about that chocolate? You promised a lifetime supply! When do I get it?"

"You don't."

"What?" both girls asked, feeling betrayed.

"You broke the rules." Willy glared harshly at Cherry, making her feel her stomach turn.

"I don't break rules!" Cherry piped, feeling sick to her stomach.

"WRONG, little ma'am, wrong!" Willy poked her in the nose and made her walk backwards to leave his door as he charged to her. "Under section 37 B of the contract signed by you, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null void, and if you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy: 'I, the undersigned, shall forfiet all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, ecterea, ectera, memo punitor delicatum'!" Willy pushed her closer to the door to get her out as soon as possible. "It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, little miss!"

Cherry fell from the force of his yelling as he went back to his desk. Katie felt deeply concerned and picked her off the floor and patted any dirt or dust she may have gotten on her.

"Hey now, that wasn't Cherry's fault!" Katie snapped. "She got lost from the group and I helped her down! If anyone should be in trouble for nearly killing her, it should be you! You built up Cherry's hopes and smashed her dreams into pieces which I promised to be a great vacation with her new friend and sister! You're an inhuman monster!"

"I said GOOD DAY, GIRLS!" Willy snarled at them, then wrote in anger.

"Come on, Cher, we don't need this guy, if that Slugworth wants a Gobstopper we'll give him one." Katie huffed, then went out the door.

Cherry looked at her, then Willy. She wasn't sure what to do. She sharply sighed and was about to follow Katie with her hands in her pockets. She then felt something and remembered the gobstopper Willy had given her earlier. All the other kids still had theirs and left with them, but Cherry hadn't. Cherry then took out the candy and placed it on Willy's desk before she left.

"So shines a good deed in the weary world," Willy mumbled to himself as the girls were about to leave. Willy then put his hand on Cherry's shoulder and made her face him. "Cherry, my girl... You won!" Willy lifted Cherry off the floor with delight. "You did it! I knew you would! Oh, Cherry, please forgive me for putting you through this," Willy squeezed her into a hug. "Please, forgive me. Come in, Mr. Wilkinson."