chapter 7

The group walked to a strange machine. Katie looked at it like it came out of a science fiction movie or something. Everyone shared their own comments about it.

"Isn't she scrumptious?" Willy praised, and looked all around. "She's my revolutionary, non pollutionary mechanical wonder. Now, button, button, what's got the button?"

"It's over there." Cherry pointed.

"Here?" Willy went to the button.

"Yeah."

Willy smiled at her, then pushed the button. The machine worked with all sorts of different machines working with it. There was a giant wooden spoon being stirred with the pot, a couple of boxing gloves punched a powdery substance, and some bees were in an ant farm device and their honey dripped in, at least that's what Katie hoped they were including with the mixture.

"What you are witnessing, dear friends, is the most enormous miracle of the machine age," Willy explained. "The creation of a confectionery giant!"

The machine stopped soon enough, then there came out a piece of candy. Willy then took it to show everybody as the machine was finished.

"That's all?" Veruca demanded.

"That's all!?" Willy mocked her. "Don't you know what this is?"

"It's just gum like my Mom sells." Cherry said.

"Wrong!" Willy poked her nose. "It's the most amazing, fabulous, sensational gum in the whole world!"

"What's so fab about it?" Violet asked.

"This little piece of gum is a three course dinner." Willy explained.

"Bull." Mr. Salt spat.

"No, roast beef." Willy corrected.

Katie giggled again from that remark.

"But, I haven't got it quite right yet." Willy said.

"I don't care." Violet grabbed the gum, ready to chew on it being a chewing gum champion back home.

"Oh, I wouldn't do that," Willy tried to warn her. "I really wouldn't."

"So long as it's gum, then it's for me." Violet stated, then put the gum in her mouth.

"Violet, now don't do anything stupid." Mr. Beauregard advised.

Violet groaned at her father, then chewed the gum.

"What's it taste like?" Cherry asked.

"Madness!" Violet exclaimed. "It's tomato soup! It's hot and creamy, I can actually feel it running down my throat! It's delicious!"

"Stop, don't." Willy said, uncaring now since Violet had broken his rule and didn't deserve to be sympathized with.

"Why doesn't she listen to Mr. Wonka?" Cherry sighed sharply.

"Because, Cherry, she's a blind, deaf, and inconsiherndablly stupid." Katie mumbled.

"Mmm, this is sure great soup!" Violet moaned, still chewing. "Hey, the second course is coming up! Roast beef and a baked potato! Mmm!"

"With sour cream?" Mr. Beauregard laughed at his daughter. "What's for dessert, baby?"

"Dessert? Here it comes! Blueberry pie and cream!" Violet said, then her face was turning blue, making everyone gape at her. "It's the most marvelous blueberry pie I ever tasted!"

"Look at her face!" Cherry pointed. "She matches my locker!"

"Holy Toledo!" Mr. Beauregard gasped. "What's happening to your face?"

"Cool it, Dad, let me finish." Violet snapped.

"Yeah, but your face is turning blue!" Mr. Beauregard said, then everyone saw a purple color come into Violet's face. "Violet, you're turning violet, Violet!"

"That sounds redundant." Cherry commented.

"What are you talking about?" Violet demanded.

"I told you, I hadn't got it quite right yet." Willy said in defense.

"You can say that again," Mr. Beauregard moaned. "Look what it's done to my kid!"

"It always goes wrong when we come to the dessert," Willy looked at Katie. "Always."

Katie cupped her mouth.

"Violet, what are you doing now?!" Mr. Beauregard panicked once Violet turned round as a beach ball. "You're blowing up!"

"I feel funny." Violet moaned.

"I'm not surprised." Cherry laughed, then Violet's belt snapped off and hit her in the face, knocking her on the floor.

"What's happening?" Violet cried.

"You're blowing up like a balloon!" Mr. Beauregard cried for his daughter's safety.

"Like a blueberry." Willy corrected.

"Somebody do something! Call a doctor!"

"Stick her with a pin!" Mrs. TeeVee suggested.

"It happens every time," Willy facepalmed. "They all become blueberries."

"You've really done it this time, haven't you, Wonka?" Mr. Beauregard growled. "I'll break you for this!"

"Oh, well, I'll get it right in the end." Willy shrugged.

"Help! Help!" Violet cried as she grew bigger and bigger, squashing Cherry in the process.

Willy then played his whistle to summon an Oompa Loompa to take Violet and her father away.

"We've got to let that air out of her, quick!" Mr. Beauregard cried.

"There's no air in there," Willy explained. "That's juice."

"JUICE!?"

"Would you roll the young lady down to the juicing room at once, please?" Willy asked the Oompa Loompa who came on cue.

"What for?" Mr. Beauregard asked as the Oompa Loompa as he rolled Violet off from Cherry before she got flat as a pancake.

"For squeezing. She has to be squeezed immediately before she explodes."

"Explodes!?"

"It's a fairly simple operation."

Oompa Loompas: Oompa Loompa doompadee doo

I've got another puzzle for you

Oompa Loompa doompadah dee

If you are wise you'll listen to me

Gum chewing's fine when it's once in a while

It stops you from smoking and brightens your smile

But it's repulsive, revolting and wrong

Chewing and chewing all day long

The way that a cow does

Oompa Loompa doompadee dah

Given good manners you will go far

You will live in happiness too

Like the Oompa Loompa Doompadee Doo

"I'll get even with you for this, Wonka, if it's the last thing I ever do!" Mr. Beauregard roared, then moaned as he was taken away with his daughter. "I got a blueberry for a daughter..."

"Where is fancy bread?" Willy asked as he was given his cane. "In the heart, or in the head? Shall we roll on?"

Katie and Cherry looked back as Violet was taken from them.

"Please girls, stay with the group," Willy took them and put them with the others. "Well, well, well, two naughty, nasty little children gone. Three good, sweet little children left. Hurry please, long way to go yet."