Chapter 1

I walked through the doors of my school with my uniform skirt brushing against my pale legs. Our school uniform consisted of a tacky white button up, blazer with our school's logo, and a mid-thigh, navy school skirt or the ugliest pair of bootcut navy slacks. I paired it with my ruffled white ankle socks and a pair of white Gucci sneakers. My mid back, dark brown hair was pulled into a half-up, half-down style with hairs pulled out to frame my face. My dark lashes coated in black mascara brought out my green eyes and the contour I applied this morning helped accentuate my cheekbones.

It was the first day back from winter break and here I was, the second semester of my junior year. Of course, I was freezing, but being cold in my skirt beats having to wear the hideous pants that are allowed in our school uniforms.

My back was already killing me from all the textbooks that I was required to carry at Prestige High School. The high school was filled with elites from all over the world, but the main campus was located here, in New York. These elites included kids of movie actors and actresses, senators, millionaires, basically the best of the best. My father owned a law firm while my mother owned her own luxury clothing line, and so this school was the one they decided to enroll me in.

Walking through the halls made me sick thinking of the schoolwork and homework that I would be stuck with until summer finally came. However, on the bright side, I did see my best friends already standing by my locker gossiping away.

"My mom ended up inviting Brandon's girlfriend with us to the French Alps and it sucked because she's a total snob," said Claire while flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder and rolling her dark green eyes. Claire was taller than the rest of us and had beautiful tanned skin. Her mom used to be a popular model, so Claire was following in her mother's footsteps.

"Since when does Brandon have a girlfriend?" I asked walking up to my friends with a smile on my face.

"Well, well, well. Welcome back Aria, did you have a pleasant time in Bora Bora over break?" smirked my other best friend Elena, who had black hair that flowed down her waist and dark brown eyes that followed her tan complexion. Elena was the same height as me, reaching about 5'7, and her father owned his own tech company, but she hated anything to do with math and computers.

"Well they're not together anymore, and what the hell Aria. How do you spend a whole week on the beach and not get any darker?" Claire asked me sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes, "I've told you ladies a million times that I can't tan to save my life."

"Anyways, can we talk about the fact that this break passed by way too quickly," said my third and final best friend Victoria, who had short blonde hair that stopped at her shoulders and bright blue eyes. She was the shortest out of all four of us, and she was just as pale as I was. Her dad was a heart surgeon and her mother was a plastic surgeon, which allowed her access to any plastic surgery she could ever want, though she hadn't gotten any yet.

"Dude I feel that I can't wait for another semester full of no boys wanting to get within a 5-foot radius of me," I said rolling my eyes. I never thought that I was ugly, but maybe it was time to start considering that possibility.

"Maybe it's for the best that you don't have one. Don't feel bad about it, at least you're not ugly," Claire said patting me on the shoulder. Well, at least I didn't have to worry about being ugly anymore.

We went on chatting about all the things we did over break and how unhappy we were to be back at school.

My friends and I were apart of the top level of kids at our school, so we were some of the more popular girls here. I honestly could care less about this "title" we've obtained, but my friends loved it and I loved them so I dealt with it. At my high school, there's a social hierarchy, and although the kids here were elites, some were just richer and more prestige than others and considering that my parents were well known, I just happened to be in the top tier.

We had some time to kill before class started so in between catching up and going through social media, we were learning some of the juiciest gossip.

"Oh my God," Elena said looking up from her phone. "Leonardo Moretti is coming back this semester."

This gossip, in particular, happened to be extra juicy so we were in for a treat.

Leonardo Moretti was the son of billionaire Steven Moretti who just so happened to also be the leader of the Italian Mafia. Rumors had it that his son Leonardo was following in his footsteps and was quite possibly more feared than his own father. He was ruthless and I intended to stay as far away from him as I possibly could.

"No way, I thought his dad sent him to Italy to go to a boarding school?" I asked Elena confused.

"He did, but I guess he's back. I'll find out whatever I can and I'll get back to you guys with the deets." Leave it to Elena to find out the latest information.

The bell rang signaling that it was time for class, so we began walking. Victoria and I had english right in the morning together so we typically walked to class together. We sat down at our table and waited for the teacher to begin teaching.

Majority of the conversations going on in class were surrounding the whole situation with Leonardo's return. I overheard a conversation behind me from Rachel and another girl who I've never really talked to.

"I heard that he's coming back because he got in trouble in Italy, so the school kicked him out. Makes sense considering that he never really wanted to leave in the first place," I heard Rachel say.

The other girl scoffed, "Please, are you kidding me? They would never kick Steven Moretti's son out of anywhere," she had a good point there. "I heard that he came back for something but no one really knows what."

"Oh my god, what if it's a person? I hope that it's me!" Rachel excitedly said. I rolled my eyes, this was the point when I stopped listening.

"Dude everyone's going crazy over this whole Leonardo situation," I told Victoria.

"I know, but I guess when you're that feared and rich, people are bound to care about what happens in your life," Victoria shrugged, opening her book up to the pages written on the board.

I opened my book up as well but I couldn't stop thinking about Leonardo.

Why did he come back?