Chapter 9

Jon's P.O.V

The training was going well, the men were definitely starting to get the hang of these new techniques, even Oli was starting to get the hang of it.

"Snow!" One of the men called. "Lady Hannah wishes to speak with you."

"Okay, tell her I'm on my way."

I met up with Hannah in the dining hall, she was sat with Sir Alliser and Maester Aemon, as usual Alliser didn't seem too happy to see me.

"We understand you wish to go back beyond the wall." He asked.

"Aye, to bring justice for the Lord Commander."

"We can barely man the wall with the men we have, and you want to risk the lives of even more men?"

Hannah quickly interrupted. "If you don't mind Sir Alliser, you're not the one giving commands right now." Sir Alliser fell silent. "We will allow you beyond the wall Jon, but we don't want you to do it alone. We'd prefer that you take some volunteers with you."

"Thank you m'lady."

I turned around to address the rest of the men.

"Brothers!" I said, but everyone continued talking.

"Shut it!" Hannah shouted.

Everyone went quiet and looked at us.

"I'm going beyond the wall to Craster's Keep, to capture the mutineers hold up there. I'll kill them, but I need volunteers to come with me." No one said a word. "We are the men of the Nights Watch, we're brothers, and Commander Mormont was our father, even more of a father to Lady Hannah. He lived and died for the Nights Watch, he was murdered by his own men, stabbed in the back by cowards, the only thing we can give him now...is justice. Who will join me?"

Everyone remained silent and my heart began to sink, I was just about to stand down when Grenn slowly rose out of his seat, quickly followed by a number of other men.

"Thank you brothers."

We got ready to ride out that evening, we had to get to them before Mance and the rest of the wildlings got to them first and used them against us.

They raised the gate and we began to ride through, all I could think about right now was justice for Commander Mormont and more importantly for Hannah, she was like a daughter to him and I won't be able to sleep until I had killed the men who killed her 'father'.

I could hear the gate closing behind us, but it stopped suddenly and began to open again, what was it now?

I could see a silhouetted figure riding towards us pretty quickly, I couldn't make out who it was...until they spoke.

"Wait up guys!"

I could clearly see their face now, it was Hannah.

"Lady Hannah, you can't come with us, it's too dangerous for a lady to go beyond the wall."

"I don't care, because you were right Jon."

"About what?"

"The men of the Nights Watch are like brothers and Commander Mormont was like your father, but he was more of a father to me than he was to any one of you, he raised me like I was his own daughter, so don't go and tell me that I can't go and avenge his death when I clearly have the right to."

I sighed. "Alright, but be careful, I won't be able to forgive myself if anything happened to you."

The ride out beyond the wall dragged, the snow blowing almost horizontally into our faces, I looked over my shoulder at Hannah to check if she was alright, she looked just as cold as the rest of us.