Regrets Chapter 1

How did this happen?

It was just a routine patrol. They'd been on this route dozens of times. How were they supposed to know there were rebels camped out? Merlin didn't even remember how it happened. All he knew was one minute there was an arrow whizzing towards Arthur's chest, and the next minute his eyes were golden and the arrow disintegrated. Merlin immediately realized what had happened:

He had used magic. In front of the King and his Knights.

What happened next was painful, but expected. Arthur turned to look at him, fury and horror in his eyes. The knights all took a step back, save for Leon, who stepped forward with a rope in his hands. Merlin stared at his shoes and slowly held out his hands. Leon cautiously approached him and tied the rope tightly around his wrists before quickly stepping back.

"Merlin of Ealdor," Arthur said in his kingly voice. "You are hereby under arrest for performing Dark Arts within Camelot's borders. You will be taken to Camelot where you will be tried for your actions."

"Arthur, please—" Merlin tried to reason.

"I can't believe I trusted you." Arthur turned away from his frien—the prisoner, and mounted his horse. "To Camelot." Percival assisted Merlin in mounting his horse, before silently walking away and mounting his own horse. The ride back was silent. When they entered the citadel, Gwen came running out to meet her husband, her face alight with joy. That joy quickly faded, however when she saw the state of Arthur's convoy.

"Arthur? What happened? Why is Merlin tied up?" Arthur dismounted and wrapped and arm around her shoulders as he led her away.

"Stay away from him. He's dangerous." Gwen pulled away and stared at her husband.

"What? No, that's not possible! How is Merlin dangerous?"

"...He has magic." Gwen gasped, and turned to look at Merlin, who was firmly avoiding eye contact. She shook her head.

"No...That's not true. Tell me it's not true!" She turned to look at Arthur.

"I'm sorry." Gwen bit her lip and eventually nodded. Arthur sighed and turned to Leon.

"Take him to the throne room in preparation for the trial."

"My lord?" Gaius shuffled down the steps. "What is going on?"

"Gaius." Oh, God. How was he going to tell Gaius? "I'm so sorry to have to tell you this, but Merlin..." He took a deep breath. "Merlin's a sorcerer." Gaius' eyes widened.

"My lord, surely you won't sentence him to—"

"I have no choice, Gaius, he broke the law. If I let him get away with what he's done, the kingdom will never learn." Gaius wanted to protest, but the look in the King's eyes told him it was pointless.

"Just remember one thing?"

"Yes?"

"Remember this: he has stayed by your side for five years. His loyalty has never wavered, and he's never done anything to cause you or the kingdom any harm." Arthur slowly nodded.

"I'll consider this during the trial." Gaius' shoulders sagged with relief.

"Thank you, sire." Gaius turned and slowly made his way back to the infirmary. Arthur turned to his wife, but was interrupted by Elyan.

"Your Majesty?"

"What?" He didn't mean for it to sound so harsh.

"Mer—The prisoner is ready. The trial is about to begin."

"Thank you." He turned to Gwen. "You don't have to bear witness to this."

"I know." She said. "But I want to. I have to know why he did it." Arthur nodded, before offering his arm.

"Shall we?"

"Alright." She quietly slipped her hand in the crook of his elbow, and with heavy hearts, prepared to condemn their friend.

...

"Merlin of Ealdor. You have been charged with using the Dark Arts within Camelot's borders. The penalty for such a crime is death, but not until a fair trial. Have you anything to say in your defense?" Merlin looked up from where he kneeled on the cold stone floor. He searched out his friends in the crowd. Elyan was glaring at him, Percival's face as that of utter betrayal, Gwaine's was a white as a sheet, and Leon's face was completely blank. Gaius looked at him sadly, and Gwen didn't look at him at all. He took a deep breath.

"I know I broke the law. And if death is what you truly desire, then so be it. But I never used my magic for evil. I've used it to save your life, and the kingdom on numerous occasions." Arthur stiffened.

"Are you confessing to using magic on multiple occasions?" Merlin's heart dropped to his feet. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

"Well, yes, but—"

"With no regard for Camelot's laws? Laws that have been put in place with the sole purpose of protecting the people?"

"Arthur—"

"You knowingly endangered the lives of the people of Camelot?!"

"Arthur, please! You know me!"

"DO I?" The court was silent. Gwen laid a hand on his arm. "You hid your magic for years. What else have you been lying about?"

"Arthur." Merlin stared at the ground. "I have been a loyal servant for years. I would never ever use my powers if I thought it would harm the kingdom. You have to believe that. You and I have been on dozens of quests. I had multiple chances to harm you, but I didn't. I had multiple chances to manipulate Camelot. I turned my back on my own heritage!" Arthur's eyes wavered. "Do what you want with me, but remember this: Not all magic is harmful, and not all magicians are evil." Merlin looked up at Arthur. "Thank you for listening to my defense." No one moved. Then Arthur sighed.

"Merlin of Ealdor. Your crimes against the kingdom of Camelot cannot be ignored. But your years of service cannot be ignored either. Therefore, you will not be sentenced to death." The court fell into chaos. Noblemen were shouting, women were chattering to each other frantically, and Gaius almost collapsed against a pillar. The knights's shoulders relaxed. "Silence!" The court calmed. "Your sentence has been reduced. Instead of death, you will be banished. The gates of Camelot will be closed to you forever. If you are ever spotted within Camelot's borders, you will be arrested and executed. You have one day to get your affairs in order." Arthur sighed. "Take him away." Merlin was hauled to his feet and led away. When he was gone, lords and ladies surrounded Arthur, commending him and thanking him for continuing to protect Camelot. Arthur knew he had done the right thing. The people always came first.

So why did he feel like he made a terrible mistake?