34 ➵ Vlog #18

(A/N: Dedicated to mary-dead-and-gone 'cause she drew that adorable picture aw)

Vlog #18 (Sunday)

-

"But what if my mum won't like him?" I asked Luke, biting my nails.

"I don't think that will happen. I mean, how can you not love Calum?"

I nodded, "True."

Yesterday after I got home I told my parents that Calum was coming over today. They said they were really excited to finally meet him since I've always talked about him.

"Now, would you please stop biting your nails? It's gross," he said.

"But I'm nervous."

"I don't care, stop it."

"Okay."

"Good. So, at what time is he --  Michael, for fuck's sake, stop biting your lip."

"But I'm nervous, I can't help it."

"Whatever. At what time is he coming over?" Luke asked.

"Around six. That's in about three hours," I answered.

"Good, now stop worrying. Everything will be fine."

"I hope so. How did your parents react to Ashton being your boyfriend?"

"Well, about that. They kind of don't know it yet?"

I sighed.

"Look, it's not that easy for me. I was really happy that my dad started talking to me again. It took a whole month after I came out for him to talk to me again. I just -- I think me introducing Ashton as my boyfriend would be too much and also too soon. I'm just scared that he won't talk to me again, you know? He is so, so disgusted by me already, I don't want to give him another reason to be disgusted. He wouldn't talk to me for years if I told him about Ashton," he explained, tears in his eyes. "He already hates me so much, I just want him to love me again.".

Hearing this made me so sad. Luke only deserved love and happiness in his life.

"Don't worry, sweetie. It'll be okay soon, I'm sure. And you know, you have always people who love you. Me and Ashton for example. We love you no matter what, okay?"

"Yeah, I know. We should stop talking about my problems now and you should start getting a shower, you stink," he laughed.

"You're not even here," I said.

"And I can still smell how bad you smell, that's a sign. Go take a shower."

"Rude but okay," I chuckled and hung up.

✧ ✧

"Hi honey," Calum said and smiled, leaning in for a short kiss.

"Hi, are you nervous? Because I am and wow, is it hot in here?"

"We're outside your door and no, I'm not nervous. Now calm down, it'll be okay. You said your parents will like me, yeah?"

I nodded, even though I really wasn't sure if my mum would like Calum. He wasn't a girl so the chances of her liking him were really low.

"No need to worry. Let's go inside, I really want to meet your parents now."

I nodded again, taking his hand in mine and leading him into the living room.

"Mum, dad. This is Calum, my very good friend."

They introduced themselves, then we sat down in the living room.

"So, what do you do for your living?" mum asked and I groaned. Why did she have to start with such personal things? Why not ask what his favorite color was?

"YouTube."

"No, I meant what is your job?"

"Like I've said, YouTube," he repeated and smiled.

"But that's not really a job. You're not even doing anything for it."

"Mum --", Calum cut me off.

"In fact it is, Mrs. Clifford and it's also a really hard one. It takes hours and a lot of creativity to come up with a great idea and then to film and edit the video," he explained, totally polite. 

"That sounds like a lot of work but at the same time really awesome," my dad said. "How long are you doing this already?"

"About four years and it really is awesome."

"I watched some of your videos and they're really great."

"Really? Thank you. I do my best."

Then we talked a little bit about how we met and other random topics. It was mostly my dad talking to Calum and me glaring at my mum. She didn't seem to like Calum and I couldn't understand why. He was so polite and friendly and just a really great person in general.

Like Luke said, how could you not love Calum?

My dad sure as hell did and I was happy that at least he enjoyed Calum's presence. 

The dinner went great, except that my mum always tried to find bad things about Calum.

Well, jokes on her. There were no bad things about Calum.

✧ ✧

"Your mum hates me," he said as we walked into my room.

"No, she doesn't. Like I've told you yesterday, she thinks my gay being is just a phase. She'll get over it soon, I'm sure," I explained and he smiled. 

"So --"

"No, we're not going to make out," I chuckled.

"But why?"

"Because it always ends with us having sex and I don't want to have sex with you while my parents are downstairs."

He groaned, "Whatever you say."

We sat down on my bed and watched some movies while talking about random topics.

"Michael?"

"Yeah?" I said and turned my head so I was facing him. He placed a soft kiss to my lips and smiled. But there was something different about his smile and it worried me a little bit.

And then he said, "I -- Uh, I have to tell you something."

And my heart dropped.