Chapter 12

Comments and votes, please :)

Darcy carefully observed Bingley and Jane Bennet for the rest of the evening. He watched as Bingley danced with Jane - again. Only now did he realise that Bingley had danced with no on else. Sometimes, Jane was obliged to dance with another. Darcy looked with concern as his friend watched Jane dance with a pained looked on his face.

Jane on the other hand, did not seem at all concerned.

Darcy's attention was diverted during the dinner when he saw Miss Bingley speaking to Elizabeth. Elizabeth seemed upset by Miss Bingley's words, and angrily walked to the punch bowl. Her sister joined her and they spoke quietly together. He sipped his wine as he wondered what Miss Bingley had told her.

The gentle murmur of conversation quietened as Bingley stood up from his seat. . . beside Jane.

"Shall we have some music? I have a great desire for a song," said he. Bingley smiled - it seemed he was having a good time. "Caroline, can we persuade you?"

As the last words fell from his mouth, Mary Bennet scooped up some music and rushed to the instrument.

"Miss Mary Bennet," said Bingley without much enthusiasm. "I see you anticipated me."

Darcy watched as Miss Mary adjusted her glasses and begin to play.

She began to play a Handel piece with a pedantic air and a conceited manner. Upon hearing the first notes, Darcy turned away. But then she began to sing, a high note on which her voice wobbled and struggled to hold. He turned back with a look of surprise and amazement. He looked away, trying to determine the problem of Jane and Bingley but it was difficult to concentrate with the terrible noise.

It was obvious to Darcy, knowing his friend as he did, that Bingley preferred Jane Bennet to any other woman in the country. But that was the usual beginning to any of his friend's infatuations. But now, it seemed that Bingley's interest in the woman was actually becoming - nay, had already become - a serious attachment.

He watched the two from his seat. Bingley leaned close to her, talking and laughing without a single glance at any other person. If this were a usual infatuation of Bingley's, by this stage in their acquaintance Bingley's interest in her would be diminishing. It wasn't - in fact it seemed his partiality for Jane Bennet had actually increased.

Darcy began to wonder - was his friend serious enough about Jane to actually propose to her?

He was lost in his own thoughts, when he became aware of a man approaching him. He looked up into the face of a heavyset, rather sweaty man in a clergyman's clothing. He recognised the cousin of the Bennets. He vaguely remembered that he was the clergyman to his aunt Lady Catherine, from the information Bingley had told him. Again, the name escaped him.

The man deeply bowed and began to speak.

"Mr Darcy, I have made a remarkable, I must say, an amazing discovery! I understand that you are the nephew of Lady Catherine de Bourgh of Rosings Park!"

Darcy's astonishment at being addressed by the man was great. They had not even been introduced and this pompous fellow had the effrontery to address him!

"Well, Mr Darcy, I am in the happy position of being able to inform you, that her ladyship was in the best of health . . . " (he counted under his breath) " . . . eight days ago!"

He gave Darcy a smile which he did not return.

"I'm glad to hear it," replied Darcy with thinly veiled contempt. He stood up to his full height and towered over the fool who was still half-bowed.