Chapter 31

Votes and comments, please :)

Though Sir Wilkins house was quite different from Netherfield, there were enough similarities in the decor and furniture to remind Darcy of the twenty-sixth of November. It seemed like a lifetime ago, though it was but a few months.

Dacy, Georgiana, Colonel Fitzwilliam, Bingley, his sisters and brother-in-law were greeted by Sir Wilkins himself, in whose manner was very similar to Sir William Lucas, but not quite so long-winded and in possession of a dry sense of humour. He welcomed them cordially, his eldest son Edmund and daughter Isabella by his side. Isabella soon accosted Georgiana and drew her into the crowd. She was a warm-hearted, confident young lady, though perhaps having less than her share of common-sense. Darcy privately thought that Isabella was mostly a good influence on his sister. Hopefully she could persuade Georgiana to be a little less retiring and shy in company.

Edmund Wilkins, on the other hand, was more dignified in air than is younger sister and more modern in his thinking than his father. Though his father had disapproved, Edmund had invited his friend Mr John Barnett, a merchant, and his sister, Miss Suzanna Barnett, to the ball. Sir Wilkins respected his son's opinion, and though disapproving of trades-folk in general, was willing to meet them.

Mr Wilkins introduced Mr and Miss Barnett to Darcy and Colonel Fitzwilliam. Mr Barnett looked merely the gentleman, but it was the sister that caught Darcy's attention.

She was perhaps, slightly shorter than Elizabeth and her complexion was more pale. Her hair was a lighter brown and though her smile was pleasing, her eyes did not possess the same sparkle. The similarities were not enough to make Darcy believe that he was hallucinating, but more than enough to put him off-balance.

Darcy blinked and pulled his eyes away from Miss Barnett's face to look at the floor. He had been confident that he would enjoy this evening, trying his best to be amiable and pleasing, but this was quite unexpected. He breathed deeply, trying to regain control.

Colonel Fitzwilliam did not notice his cousin's discomfort, but instead made things worse by suggesting that Darcy dance with her.

"I . . . no. A-another time, perhaps," said Darcy. He knew that he was being rude but he neede to get away. The room was too warm; there was a doorway leading to the balcony. Darcy turned and headed that direction, vaguely aware that the Colonel was following at a rapid pace.

The moment they were alone, Fitzwilliam pulled the curtains behind them closed and said, "Darcy what on earth are you doing? Why did you turn Miss Barnett down in such a manner?"

"I can't and I won't," replied Darcy, closing his eyes, trying to shut out the image of Elizabeth. He needed to forget her, and this was not helping.

"You are reverting back to your former self, Darcy," said the Colonel warningly.

At this, Darcy gripped the cool stone. He sighed.

"I apologise."

"What is wrong? You have been very good for the last three days and now something has obviously shaken you."

"Can you not see, cousin?"

"I do not comprehend you," said the Colonel, confused.

"You cannot see the similarities between Miss Barnett and Miss Elizabeth Bennet?"

"No I cannot."

Of course you cannot. Darcy had spent so many hours studying Elizabeth's face, remembering it. There was no way that he could forget it.

"Can you?" asked Colonel Fitzwilliam.

"Easily. I still see her. She reproaches me, accuses me. I had thought I had forgotten, these last few days, but it seems that I have not."