Chapter 40

Comments and votes, please :)

Darcy was in no mood to rejoice in his arriving home, for what was the point? He was to leave again in a few days.

He had sent no word of his arrival and so there was no one to greet him. It was not until he was removing his coat in the hall that Georgiana appeared. He gave no reaction to her arrival; he was to tired and drained.

Georgiana approached him hesitantly, uncertainty in her posture; nevertheless, when she spoke her voice was calm and controlled.

"Are you alright?"

He sighed, still determined not to burden her with his troubles.

"Well enough."

"Is your business in London completed?"

"No, I shall be returning in a few days."

Georgiana looked sad, but smiled.

"Then come, we must make the most of your time here with us."

She gently but firmly took his arm and lad him to the drawing room.

Bingley and his family were sitting in the drawing room, quietly talking and did not notice the Darcys' entrance until Darcy sat down.

"Darcy!" said Bingley in pleasant surprise. "You are back. Hopefully, this time for some duration?"

"No, only for a few days. I need to be back in London by Monday."

His guests were disheartened; Miss Bignley most of all.

"I hope this business of yours can be concluded quickly so that you are free to spend more time with your friends," said she.

"As do I," replied he, thinking of one particular aquaintance of his.

"What a lot of business you must have to do during the course of the year, Mr Darcy. How dreadfully dull I would think it; I admire your perseverance."

"Thank you."

"After all, I believe there are few who can manage such a large estate, as well as so many tenants, large fortune and more without any assistance whatsoever."

Darcy made no answer.

"Such duty reflects a character of strength, one who should be proud of their situation in life. Though someI believe it is something that everyone should have. One cannot have too much of pride, after all."

Darcy closed his eyes for a brief minute, reminded of one incident when he had realised that pride was his worst fault.

He was forever indebted to Elizabeth for opening his eyes. If it had not been for her, he would never have known. As painful as the incident at Hunsford had been, it was a test of Darcy's self, and if his meeting with Elizabeth had been any indication, he was well on his way to becoming a better man.

Maybe this trial was another test and though it may be better for him, the price for it was that Elizabeth would never be a part fo his future.

Bingley, seeing his friend was tiring of his sister's conversation, said, "I hope your journey was - "

"It would be such a pity if men such as yourself, Mr Darcy, were to change their ways," interrupted Miss Bingley. "Heaven forbid such an action! think of the impact on society!"

"I may have believed that once in the past, Miss Bingley, but now I believe that perhaps it would be a boon for society if everyone were to humble themselves," said Darcy coldly, not at all attracted by Miss Bingley's opinion on the subject. "And I also believe that society would benefit still more if people concentrated more on improving themselves instead of belittling others."