Chapter 25

Votes and comments, please :)

How long he sat there under the tree he did not know. When he decided to return to the house he estimated it to be about ten in the morning.

The Park was peaceful and pleasant but none of this lifted Darcy's mood. Soon, the facade of Rosings was seen through the trees. On the steps was a familiar figure.

When he arrived at the top of the stairs, he did not bid Colonel Fitzwilliam a good morning but moved as if to walk past him.

"Where on earth have you been, Darcy?" inquired the Colonel, "We woke up to find that were gone. I assumed a walk in the Park but at such an early hour? and for so long?"

"We're leaving," said Darcy without looking at his cousin.

"I beg your pardon? Today?"

"Yes, as soon as possible."

"Patience, we are already leaving tomorrow." Fitzwilliam looked at Darcy strangely. "What is the rush? You have delayed our departure twice already and now all of a sudden you want to leave as soon as possible?"

Darcy glared at his cousin, but finally conceded that as they were leaving on Saturday anyway, he'd might as well wait.

___________________________________________________________

The two gentlemen went to see their aunt and cousin, who were sitting in the drawing-room.

"Good morning, Aunt, cousin," said the Colonel gaily. Darcy said not a word but got a cup of tea and went to stare out of the window.

Tomorrow he would leave Kent and Elizabeth behind. It was more than possible that they would never see each other again. He had not wish to and he imagined she felt the same way.

Darcy knew he could never love anyone else. Elizabeth had captured his heart so completely that could never get it back. He knew that he could not force himself to marry without love and it would fall to Georgiana to produce an heir for Pemberley.

But what about the things Elizabeth told him - to his face? What should he do about that? Forget them and get on with his life?

"We shall be quite desolate without you, Darcy - Anne especially," said Lady Catherine to him.

Darcy ignored that remark and merely said, "We shall return next year, Aunt."

There was a silence until Colonel Fitzwilliam said, "I think we should say farewell to the Collinses and Miss Bennet before we leave. What say you, Darcy?"

His heart froze for a moment. He wanted to see her one last time before he left - but he did not want to face her either.

Despite Lady Catherine's protests, Colonel Fitzwilliam got up and began walking to the hall.

"I am going - are you coming with me?"

With a sudden decision, Darcy joined his cousin.

______________________________________________________

They walked slowly, partly because the Colonel found it such a beautiful day, partly because Darcy was reluctant to go.

His cousin frequently shot him curious looks. Finally he asked,

"Is there something troubling you, cousin?"

He looked up to see Fitzwilliam's concerned face.

"Why do you ask?"

"You seem preoccupied, and there are several rather strange aspects of your behaviour lately. Every morning this visit you go for a walk in the Park, you disappeared last evening and now after delaying our trip to London twice you are suddenly very eager to go there. Can you blame me for having suspicions that all is not well with you?"