Chapter 2: Shadow Bitch

Charlie woke up gradually, regaining consciousness on and off

    Charlie woke up gradually, regaining consciousness on and off. Each time she opened her eyes, the pounding in her head told her to shut them back. By the time she was fully awake she realized she had no clue where she was at. She scrambled to sit up, throwing the blanket that she had been wrapped in off of her.

      She scanned her surroundings.
      She was in a dingy room, with peeling sickly green wallpaper, on a mattress on the floor. There was a door on the wall behind her. In the room, there was little furniture, only really a dresser and a television, which also sat on the floor. There was no closet, and there were no windows.

       Thoughts started to rush through her mind at the speed of light.

       How did I get here? What happened last night?

       Did I at least get laid?

       I have to find Veronica. Maybe I got too drunk to give her directions so she just took me to her house.

       She pushed open the one door in the room, but was disappointed to find it only led to a very small bathroom. She stared blankly into the room, utterly dumbfounded.

       ....Surely there must be a door? How else would I have gotten in?

       She walked back into the main room, and looked around again, but her eyes didn't deceive her. There was no door.

      "Maybe I'm an attic room or something?" She said to herself.

      Walking over to the mattress, she started to lug it away, looking for an exit, or a trap door of some kind. Just as she let it back go, a sudden snapping sound from behind her startled her.

      She spun around.

      A black cloud of smoke was slowly dissipating, and as it cleared, Charlie could make out the silhouette of a person. Once the smoke cleared completely, she could really see them.

     A black catsuit that clung to a distinctly feminine body. A black helmet, with a white skull on the front of it. It seemed very familiar. Where had she seen this suit before?

     "The furniture was not to your liking?" The voice that came out of the helmet was distorted and low, a robotic edge to it.

      "Who are you?" Charlie asked, taking a step back.

       "I am Shadow Witch." The woman said.

       The pieces snapped together in Charlie's brain at the sound of the name. Shadow Witch. That's where she remembered the helmet from.

       But Charlie knew this couldn't be the Shadow Witch. The Original Shadow Witch had died about five years ago. And he was a dude. This Shadow Witch was clearly a woman.

      Despite her brain telling her not to, she decided to voice this.

      "But you're a girl? I thought Shadow Witch was a guy. And dead."