Chapter 25: How I Met my Sort of Girlfriend's Mother

"Miss Beatrice Marie Padgett, you know I don't like to be kept waiting, and I certainly don't like to be jerked around."

         Charlie blinked awake at the sound of the voice. It was calm and even, and buttery smooth, not too much unlike Beatrice's. Maybe it was a little bit deeper than Beatrice's, with a slightly more tart edge to the words, but still very similar. 

          But it wasn't Beatrice's voice.

          Oh shit! I feel asleep! Fuck me...

          Charlie pulled herself the rest of the way up, slightly scared of what she might see. Beside her, she could feel the Beatrice subtly trembling beneath the blankets. 

          In front of them was Night Thief.

          She looked a lot like Beatrice, Charlie thought as she examined her, only her face was all angles and sharp edges while Beatrice's was softer and rounder. Still, they shared the same pale blonde hair and bluish under eye circles. She wore an all black suit, the helmet to which was tucked neatly under her arm. 

         Charlie glanced over at Beatrice for guidance, but she seemed to be paralyzed with fear, her eyes wide as they fixated on Night Thief. 

         Suddenly, Charlie was very aware of the fact that she was sitting beneath the irritated gaze of the Night Thief. The one who had massacred a ton of people and not even batted an eye. The one who needed a whole team of heroes to take her down. The one who had forced Beatrice to grow up completely alone in a room with no escape.

        Who knew what else she had done? Who knew what else she was willing to do? 

         A shiver ran down Charlie's spin at the thought. 

        "We came here to hide from the authorities." Beatrice said, seeming finally to have composed herself enough to answer. 

        "So you decided to hide out across the street?" Night Thief said with a bitter scoff. "I mean, I know you never were the brightest but—"

        "Actually it was my idea!" Charlie said. "I thought if we hid somewhere close to where the signal came from it would confuse them because they'd think we'd go somewhere far away and look there instead."

          An especially sour look crossed Night Thief's face, and she jerked her head over to Beatrice.

         "Who's this small, bird-like person beside you?" She asked, pointing at Charlie with her thumb.

         "Wha— bird-like?!"

         Beatrice pinched her under the covers and she cut herself off. 

        "This is, ah, my, uh—friend, Charlie." Beatrice stuttered out with some awkward hand gestures. "She's been helping me with, uh, everything."

        Night Thief's eyes narrowed on Charlie, her nose wrinkled in disgust.

        "If you want to associate with the genetically inferior, I guess that's your choice." She said.

         Charlie bristled internally, but tried to keep it together on the outside. 

         "Oh, it's that's heiress you kidnapped, isn't it? The Delaqua one?"

         Night Thief looked over at Beatrice once more, eyeing her from top to bottom with a critical gaze.

         "Looks like she's been feeding you well, though. You seem to be getting a bit on the chubby side."