Chapter 20: Break out City

Charlie wobbled and jerked back on forth on the board like a toddler learning to walk for the first time. Even though it was on autopilot, it still wasn't nearly as easy to operate as Beatrice had made it look. Just the act of keeping it balanced took all of Charlie's attention.

       "Are you technically a superhero if you're breaking a villain out of a high security prison?" Harleigh said in her ear as she flew.

       "One woman's Supervillain is another woman's girlfriend." Charlie quipped back.

       "So she's your girlfriend now?" Harleigh asked. Charlie could practically see her rolling her eyes.

       "Well—" Charlie quickly ducked under a passing tree branch. "I haven't technically asked her yet, but I have a feeling she'll say yes!"

       "Maybe you should stop by a store and get her some flowers on the way there." Harleigh said. "That'll really win her over."

        "I think doing that on the way back would be a better idea." Charlie quipped. "I'm kind of in a hurry at the moment."

        "You know, I think you do have a super power." Harleigh said.

        "Oh yeah?" Charlie said. "What is it?"

        "Relentless optimism." Harleigh said. "I can't bring you down no matter how hard a try."

      "All you gotta do is cry when you're sad to get all of the bad feelings out!" Charlie said. "Then you're good to go!"

      She paused as the board dipped down and came just a foot or two above the head of a woman who glanced up at her in surprise. " I feel like a lot of people are staring at me—"

      "Did you forget to turn the cloaking on!?" Harleigh asked.

       "Oh no, I didn't forget." Charlie said. "I didn't know how."

       "Wha— Charlie!"  Harleigh sputtered out. "Didn't you read the manual?"

        "No."

        "Charlie!"

        "Harleigh, it was like 500 pages long! I don't have that much time!" Charlie said. "Speaking of time, how close am I?"

        There was a brief pause before Harleigh got back on the line.

       "You're closing in." She said. "I'm going to try and get Sha—" Harleigh paused and exaggeratedly cleared her throat. "Beatrice on the line so we can pinpoint exactly where she's at in the building."

       "Rodger Dodger." Charlie said.

       Glancing up at the city line, she could see the prison looming in the distance. It was large and intimidating, perched at the very outer edge of New Atlanta.

       The buildings around her began to thin out, becoming more and more sparse as the Prison grew larger and more ominous.

      When she was roughly a hundred or so feet from the building, she decided to stop.

     However, deciding to stop, and actually stopping, she soon found out, we're completely different things.

      As she leaned down to change the settings, the board shifted, and her stomach lurched as the feeling of falling took over her. Before she knew it, she was dangling upside down by her ankles and screaming like a child on a roller coaster.

    Somehow, In her panicked state she managed to form the coherent thought to swing her body to one side. She put all of her light into it, and the overly sensitive board picked up on her movements and flipped back around.