Chapter 16: Small Friends

Charlie's dad gave her two options. Either she could spend three days in a (admittedly, extremely nice) psych ward, or she could spend three days at her apartment 'decompressing'. Obviously, she chose to stay in her apartment.

       It wasn't that she had anything against going to a mental hospital, it as more so that she just felt like no one else understood the situation, and any time she would try to explain herself they would just give her a look of pity.

       It was like being grounded, except she was twenty five year old woman and everyone was treating her like she may have a nervous breakdown at any moment. Her father even had all of her computers, phones, and televisions removed before she even left the hospital. He said he didn't want her getting upset or preoccupied by what the media was saying about her.

        She thought not knowing was almost  just as likely to drive her crazy.

        With nothing to do, it was hard to pass the time without worrying. Mostly, she worried about Beatrice. She didn't know if the authorities were hurting her. She didn't know what lengths they'd go to her information from her. Most worryingly of all, she didn't know what her mental state was like right now.

       And the other prisoners? There were some big names being held there, and Charlie worried that they might already be targeting Beatrice.

        All she could think about was Beatrice, cold and alone in a jail cell, feeling like she was once again with no friends, or family, or anyone who cared what happened to her.

         To everyone else, she would just be another person who slipped through the cracks. Somebody who society forget to look out for. A lost cause.

        Charlie grimaced as she paced, looking out at the wall length window that offered one of the best views of New Atlanta that money could buy you.

         She hated this.

          She hated being stuck here, not able to do anything.

         What would Beatrice do if she were here, Charlie wondered? 

          She'd probably roll her eyes at me, Charlie thought. Then She'd say; "Oh look at me! I have to be stuck in this million dollar penthouse apartment for three days! How awful! " Then she'd go angstily sulk in the corner and try to give the toaster sentience or something.

         Charlie smiled wryly to herself, pressing her palm against the window. There were so many cars going by. From this high up they looked like ants. Charlie felt that small right now in the grand scheme of things. 

         The intercom rang around the room, letting her know that she had a guest in the elevator. Her father was screening who could visit her via the front desk, but out of those it was up to her to decide who to let in. This would be her first visitor.

         She put her code into the command center screen on the wall.

         "This is Charlie." She said.

        "Uh, Hey. This is Linton. Can I come in?"

         Charlie straightened up a bit. Copper Knight? What did he need? Was it about Beatrice? She cleared her throat.

           "Oh. Yeah. Sure."

          She pushed the 'open door' button and flicked the screen away.

           The front door chimed as it slid open, and Linton made his way inside, carrying three... cages?

            "Uh, hi." Charlie said.