Part Two, Chapter Five: Frenemies

Beatrice sat, somewhat uncomfortably, on the couch, her head on Charlie's shoulder. On the other side of Charlie, was Harleigh, splayed out very casually, though even Beatrice could feel the tension in the room. 

     It wasn't like Beatrice hated the girl or anything. No, that wasn't it. 

     Sure, there was still a little bitterness that came to mind when she remembered that it was mostly Harleigh's fault she went to jail, but that wasn't what bothered her. What bothered her was the distinct feeling she got that Harleigh didn't like her.

     Maybe didn't approve of her was a better way to put it. Either way, the look on her face every time Beatrice was around told her that she thought Charlie was making a big mistake by dating her. 

    Charlie, as per her usual state of being, seemed oblivious to the tension between the two girls. Oblivious, or possibly willfully ignorant. Beatrice thought both were equally likely. It was surprisingly hard to tell with Charlie sometimes. 

    Charlie's phone buzzed a couple of times, and she excitedly picked it up. 

    "The pizzas are here!" She announced with glee. 

    Beatrice and Harleigh mumbled half-hearted replies as Charlie bounced up from the couch. 

     "I'm going to go get it because—"

      "Because you always wanted to be a pizza delivery person when you were little so you like to go and personally meet the delivery driver." Beatrice finished for her. 

     Charlie grinned and giggled before excitedly running out of the door. Beatrice found herself smiling as she watched her go. 

     As the door shut behind her, Beatrice awkwardly pulled out her phone in an effort to avoid having to make small talk with Harleigh. It seemed Harleigh felt the same, as she kept her eyes away from Beatrice and on the tv even though it was currently paused. 

     I need something to distract me. She thought. This is already too awkward somehow.  

     She went to clear out her emails, and began mindlessly scrolling through them when she noticed something familiar. 

From: hfffaecorp85ginl3e@zipmail.com

      RE: what do you want?      

          Message: help.
                           Shift change at 2 AM.
                           10 min gap.

          Urgent: yes.

          Respond: yes. 

    There was another email right after it, again from the same mystery person, but this one was just an attachment of a picture. 

     It seemed like an industrial room, filled with several large tanks, each containing a green, gel-like substance that seemed to glow. The lighting was dim, and the picture was slightly blurred, like the person who took it was in a hurry. Beatrice's frown deepened as she glanced over the image. 

    What? Is this supposed to be some kind of weird joke? Or just a really stupid trap?

   "Why are you making that face?" Harleigh said. 

    Beatrice blinked up at Harleigh, who was now looking over at her with intrigue.

    "Hm?"