Chapter 21: Operation Escape

"What?!" Charlie sputtered. "Beatrice, I can't do that!"

       Beatrice reached over and clamped a hand over her mouth.

       "We only have two choices, Charlie." She said. "We can take it out and leave, or you're going to have to go back home. If I leave with it still in me, it'll set off an alarm the second I leave the building. Then we'll both be in jail."

       Charlie pushed her hand away.

       "Beatrice, I'm not a doctor! What if I hurt you?" Charlie said.

       Beatrice gave her a very serious look.

       "Oh, it's going to hurt."

       "Beatrice!"

        "Shhh!" Beatrice shushed her again. "You need to decide fast! The guard is going to finish his round and be back by my cell any minute."

        This can't be a good idea... Charlie thought. But then again, what good ideas have I had lately? I've already made it this far, and I can't just leave her in prison while her mother is out there planning who knows what...

       Ah, fuck it!

       "Okay, I'll do it." Charlie said.

       Beatrice nodded and offered her upper thigh thigh. In the middle of it there was a thin, pink line, about an inch long. It hadn't healed yet, and was slightly scabbed over.

       Charlie swallowed and pulled a small knife from her untility belt.

       "Hold on a second—" Beatrice said. She reached over to the bed behind her, and grabbed the pillow. She bit down on the end of it before giving Charlie a nod.

      Charlie nodded back, already feeling faint.

      She took the edge of the knife and carefully opened the cut back up. Blood immediately began to run down Beatrice's leg and pool on the floor.

     It felt so wrong.

     Her gaze shot up to Beatrice. Her eyes were squeezed shut, but she otherwise was very still and very quiet.

      Charlie took one of her trembling fingers and gently probed the wound. She could feel Beatrice's muscles seize up and twitch every time she moved. It felt like poking your finger into raw meat. Well, Charlie realized it pretty much was poking your finger into raw meat.

       Beatrice began to make quiet, muffled sounds, and Charlie tried to hurry up while still being careful.

       Something hard brushed her finger, and Charlie gently tried to scoop it out, hoping it was the tracker and something that was supposed to be in there.

      After a few seconds that seemed to stretch on without end, she got it out, and held it out for Beatrice to see. Though it was covered in blood, Charlie could still see it blinking softly.

       Beatrice nodded and spat the pillow out of her mouth. She looked incredibly pale, and her eyes were glassy.

      There was what seemed like a lot of blood. It was running down her leg, smeared on the floor, and covering Charlie's hand. Charlie wasn't sure how much you could lose before you were in trouble.

      "Here, cut a strip off of this bedsheet and tight it around my thigh." Beatrice instructed.

      Charlie nodded and did as she was told, tying in a tight knot around her thigh. Beatrice whimpered quietly.