Gabby the Conspirator Pt. 2

Aside from the ever growing tension between Austin and I, the lunch table remains as lively as usual, especially with Catrina's addition to the group.

I couldn't help but feel less than optimistic at the start of the week, but as more time has passed things have begun settling back into normalcy. Zach still joins me in the shade whenever we're outside for gym and from the looks of his and Catrina's consistent teasing at lunch, he's doing just fine in that aspect. Their dynamic feels so natural, that I can't help but wonder why they didn't occur to me before now.

Zach's half baked feelings for me, that have evidently since subsided, might be responsible for their attraction just now emerging. I watch on as Zach says something else to make Catrina break out into another fit of laughter, something that she does often but even more so around Zach. As he watches her with a wide grin, I'm grateful now that I was too embarrassed to mention what happened with Zach to Catrina. I've been more concerned about the state of the friendship that I've become attached to since moving here, and I wouldn't want Catrina thinking she'd be getting in the way of anything. Especially with how happy they clearly make each other.

Robert teases them at least two or three times each lunch period, and aside from the initial surprise of being called out, the two don't tend to mind much and just look at each other coyly with a sense of elation that comes with the first stages of talking to someone.

I've prodded each of them on my own time about the other, but they seem steadfast on letting details emerge as their relationship naturally progresses. Catrina did, however, divulge during our usual "tea time and art" session that I won't be the only one going on a date this Friday. I had to promise not to repeat this, especially due to Robert's sense of humor having no bounds. This has been especially apparent in the lapses of silence following a joke about Austin and I. Everyone can feel the tension, but Robert is the only one that has no issue pointing it out or finding humor in it. Even Austin, usually calm with unwarranted confidence, becomes irritable and awkward with Robert's comments.

During yesterday's lunch when Zach and Catrina were cracking up over something, Robert effectively dampened the table's mood when he said "See, now why can't you two get to the honeymoon phase like them?" to Austin and I.

At the time, Austin just pressed his fingers to his temples and replied, "Stop being an idiot." with shut eyes and a grimace. As is on brand for Robert, he just continued tossing around light remarks to a silent table, not feeling the slightest bit of shame. Austin ended up picking up his tray and leaving for class early, unable to listen to any more comments about him and I being like a bickering elderly couple.

The memory causes me to look from Zach and Catrina to where Austin's seated beside me, also watching them with amusement. He catches my side glance and winks, resulting in an immediate eye roll from me. He knocks his knee against mine underneath the table and I ignore it, choosing now to tune back into whatever it is that's made Catrina start having a coughing fit.

Things between Austin and I have been just plain weird, for lack of better words. After Monday, he slowly began starting conversations with me again. Except, they've been so normal I've been caught too off guard to know how to worm out of them. He's begun asking me things a normal person would, like things about myself or school, and I almost forget he's the same guy that tried to wrap an arm around my waist and treat me like arm candy within minutes of meeting me.

This week's civil conversations between us should make for a less painful dinner tomorrow evening and there's just enough of the Austin I've come to know peeking through that I don't feel bad about my intent to let this all backfire on him.

He places a hand on my leg underneath the table and I push it off without a second thought, reaffirming that I definitely won't feel bad.

"Are we still on for after school?" Catrina asks me, having collected herself from earlier.

"Yeah, and Nicole let me take the car today so the world is our oyster." I say, nodding to her with a smile.

"We're supposed to study..." She trails off, the corner of her mouth tilting up at the idea of doing just the opposite of that.

"We'll read the Sparknotes. C'mon, let's go somewhere." I say, smiling wider and actively taking the role as the devil on her shoulder.

"Girl time? I want in!" Zach chimes in, causing Robert and Alex to begin asking to join as well. Austin stays quiet, watching me carefully.

"We hang out as a group all the time, too much of the time if you ask me." I joke, causing the boys to huff in disappointment. "But Sarah can join." I add, watching as the blonde perks up.

"Yeah, that sounds fun! Can we go to the mall?" Sarah asks, brown eyes bright.

"How unoriginal of us. I love it. We should stop by the place with massage chairs." I suggest, recalling not too long ago when Nicole and I had made a trip for some new school clothes and ended up "testing" the massage chairs in one of the pop up stores until they kicked us out.

The two girls nod in excitement and Alex tugs Sarah into a hug with a smile. "Don't give your number out to any boys, pretty girl." He says, pecking her cheek.

Robert makes a retching sound and if I weren't a little bit jealous of the two, I'd make more of an effort to stop him.

"I won't. That only worked with you." She says, making everyone other than Catrina and I laugh at a memory they collectively seem to share. Even Austin laughs, the genuine bright sound startling me. I still don't know how long exactly Alex and Sarah have been together, but from what I've pieced together they at least liked each other for a long time before anything happened. I suspect the mutual crush is what kept her in a group of all boys prior to Catrina and I joining.

As someone who's been a part of friend groups mainly consisting of boys before, I know how fun, yet annoying, it can be at times. The bitterness from girls in our school and the inability of most of the guys in those groups to hold a platonic relationship with me, or any girl for that matter, is what ultimately led me to the conclusion that I hated big friend groups. Especially with the majority being guys.

That is, until this group. Robert may be a chaotic dumbass, but he's well intentioned and always brings the life to the party. And I would trust Alex and Zach with my younger sister if I had one. It's Austin that's the anomaly of this group, but he's much more reminiscent of the kind of friends I've had before. Which is exactly why I feel both confident and justified in playing my hand just as much as he is. I haven't mentioned it to Catrina since the first time in fear she'll discourage me more, and after some thought I decided it's better that way.

Should this thing between Austin and I continue, I feel the group knows me well enough to see what I'm doing. The only one being left out of the inside joke this time, will be Austin.

AN: What's up guys I'm a silly goose and I said I'd write all these chapters in advance then post them, knowing myself enough to know that wouldn't happen :,) I got this written like the day before needing to post ahaaa. I got a lot coming up, like COLLEGE GRADUATION (WHAT!) and vacation and onboarding for a job buuuuut I'm determined to finish this hoe so I'll keep writing and hopefully catch back up so I have more chapters in the drafts.

Vote if you're excited for the next chapter (which will be Austin and Gabby's date ooo) and comment your thoughts/what you think will happen! That's all for now! Send me good vibes for when I walk the stage this week so I don't break my ass or sumthn.