Chapter 13

The girl doesn’t talk to me after we leave the residents building, just storms off down a path. 

After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, she finally stops in front of another building - a modern, sprawling complex - and pushes me inside. She takes me down another elevator, and I feel my ears pop at the change of pressure. The doors slide open with a dull ping, and I’m faced with a enormous basement. I look around the cavernous expanse of the interior, and I’m shocked by how huge it is - about the size of an aircraft hanger. It’s filled with armed guards, hundreds of them, moving quickly around the space - some kind of training exercise. The slightest bit of fear blooms in my chest as I stare back down to the ground. What will these people do to me if they find out what I really am? 

Before I can look up again, the girl yanks my wrist, pulling me down a dark, narrow hallway. She leads me inside another room, and then before I know it, I’m standing face to face with Greyson, Captain Ellis, and a small, grey haired old woman. The woman’s eyes widen when we walk in, the wrinkles around her eyes creasing thoughtfully. I hear a light cough, and I see Zander standing against the edge of the wall beside Noah and Max. Thank goodness.

The girl pushes me forward and lets out a displeased sigh. “There, Greyson. Brought her,” she says with another disdainful flick of her hair.  

Greyson looks up. “Thanks, Robin.”

“Jeez, Greyson,” Parker lets out a laugh. “Why’d you send the ice queen to go and get her?”

Robin shoots Parker a glare, but then fixes her eyes back to Greyson. “Actually, I was wondering that myself. I’m not a trainee Drifter anymore, remember? You’re looking at Water Regiment Second-in-command.” 

Greyson lets out an exasperated sigh, massaging his hand across his brow. “I asked you because your room is the closest to hers, Robin. The recruits are out with Parker and Drift apprentices are running simulations today, so really you were the only option.” 

Robin clenches her teeth and walks to the other side of the room, knocking into my shoulder as she passes. 

I roll my eyes, ignoring her, and move to stand next to Zander. “What’d you do to piss her off?” he whispers to me, amusement clear in his voice. 

“We got off on the wrong foot,” I reply under my breath. 

Zander raises his eyebrows at me. “Or she’s just got a pole up her ass.” I have to clamp my hand over my mouth to stop myself from laughing. But despite my efforts, I feel a pair of eyes watching me. I spin around, expecting Robin’s icy glare - but instead I meet eyes with the grey-haired woman. She winks. 

But Robin’s not done ribbing me, and I hear her snide voice. “She probably won’t even pass clearance.” 

“Actually,” Greyson turns to her. “She already has.”

Robin’s eyes snap open - they look like they’re going to bulge out of their sockets. “What? She and the other kid just got here!” she snarls. 

“Zander escaped from the North.” Greyson nods his head towards our corner. “His family was known to be of Terran bloodline. Besides, he’s Max’s little brother, so he’s vouched for.”  

“And the girl?” 

Greyson looks at me, and purses his lips. “She’s friends of our allies. She’s clear.” I breathe out in relief. 

But Robin cocks her hip, unimpressed. “So that’s it? She passed clearance because she knows a few people? Greyson, we know nothing about her - she was a servant, so she could be a Southern spy, of all things! You’re putting the safety of Everwood at jeopardy for the sake of this one-”