Chapter 16

The next few weeks are hell.

Parker has us running eight miles each morning, followed by two hours of hand to hand combat. Then we have our tactical analysis core; procedures, raids, defence standards. After that, it’s weapons debriefing, and we go over how to assemble and fire a gun. The Inheritance recruits hate this - after all, who needs firearms when you can control an element. Parker also introduces us to blades, so I get to try the beautiful short-handled daggers. They accommodate quick, precise movements, and there’s an element of grace involved - I find myself developing an affinity for them. 

But despite everything, the training helps me. I feel stronger, faster, sharper. I become so concentrated on my training sessions with Zander and my study sessions with Hale, that time seems to slip by. Before I know it, we have two weeks until it’s over, and two weeks until the Inheritance ceremony.

It’s nearing the end of the afternoon, and to finish, Parker’s having us scale the giant wall of the training centre. The fastest it’s ever been done, he says, is nine seconds. If any of us takes longer than fifteen, we all run a mile. It’s Zander’s turn next, and he gets a pat on the back from the Everwood kids he’s standing by, and a few ‘good lucks’. After all, if he goes over fifteen seconds, we’re all running. 

He starts off well, choosing smart holds to grip on as he hoists himself up. But his pacing is off, and he’s only gone three quarters of the way with five seconds to go. But he swings his body round desperately, lunging upwards, and his hand just manages to graze the bell at the top of the wall. He made it - but barely. 

I’m the last person to go. Resolve hardens my body, as I approach the wall with grim determination. I’ve hung in the middle of the pack throughout most of the training, even though I’ve been working my butt off to improve. Despite my speed, I’m just not strong enough to take on the bigger recruits, and my lack of natural skill with the firearms is slightly worrying. But I might just be able to excel in this challenge - I’m light and quick, and as I stare up at the wall, immediately my path is clear. I can do this. 

As soon as Parker shouts go I’m off, scrambling up the surface with lightening speed. I fit my fingers into the crevices, one after another, climbing frantically, my limbs clinging to the holds as my new muscles puller me higher and higher. I ignore the burning that shoots through my thighs, I keep going and before I know it, I’m there, my hand clutching the finish bell - finished. 

When my feet are back on the mat, I’m met with stunned faces. Parker checks his watch. “Eight point seven seconds,” he grins. “Seems we have a new record holder.” 

I breathe out a sigh of relief. Finally, I’ve made some form of an impression. The other’s clap me on the back, murmuring words of encouragement - even Atlas. 

“I have to say, Ava, I’m impressed. That’s a standard I’d expect from a First Corps.” But Parker’s frown fades slightly. “But you’re going to have to really work on your combat tactics if you want to get assigned that high. You still can’t take down anyone bigger than Leah.”

My heart falls slightly in my chest. After our training is complete, the non-inheriting recruits who want to stay with the force get placed into the different Corps depending on their skill level. The best is First Corps; the most talented soldiers at Everwood, and they’re ones who get assigned missions into the South and the Consium. The big boys. 

Getting into the First Corps is my best shot at Kathu. 

I turn my head back to Parker. “Whose record was it - who did I beat?” I know it’s a selfish, cocky question, but unfortunately I find myself not caring.