Chapter 19

My eyes are still fixed on the photograph in my hands, and on the striking girl in the centre. Her face looks so much more content, so much brighter, but there’s not doubt - she was the girl I mistook for a Northerner on the day of my Union. 

Hale’s staring at me, a curious expression on his face. “What is it?” 

I tear my eyes away from the picture, and force a smile. “Oh, it’s nothing, I thought I recognised her.” I quickly turn away. “Listen Hale, I’ve got to head back.”

He grabs my hand, and pulls me back to him, so our noses almost touch. “Ava, forgive me. My brother will come around, ” he whispers softly. “Please. Stay.”

I look into his face - a face filled with strength, honour and loyalty. But there’s something more behind his honest eyes; a pleading desperation. 

Breaking his gaze, I clear my throat. “I’ll see you later, okay?” I rush out of the room before he can respond, and sweep towards the front door. Before I leave, I turn to face Hale’s father, who still sits by the table, staring morosely at his bowl.

“Thank you for having me, sir. It was very nice to meet you,” I say quickly. 

But Henry just stares at me, his eyes slightly glassy. “I’m sorry… have we met?” 

The words seize in my throat. So I just go. 

#

I race back to the dorm, the clamouring voices in my head making me dizzy. It’s only when I slam my door shut behind me and slide to the floor that I finally let myself think.

The Drifter mission took place on the day of my eighteenth. Callie Bennett went missing, and everyone believes she was caught in Nurture. But I know she wasn’t - she was at Union.

What had happened? Maybe she decided to change the plan, and found an opportunity to infiltrate the Union halls? Or maybe she blended in too well with the other Norther girls, and was forced in? Either way, something went terribly wrong, because she never came out. 

Suddenly I’m struck by a strong urge to go and reveal what I know - after all, it could be the key to saving this girl’s life, if she’s even still alive. Kathu and Daemon must have their hands on her, and I know the Consium better than anyone in this camp. I could help. 

But what would that mean for me? I’d have to tell them who I am. Mendell’s words ring through my head; keep your secret hidden. The Terran would never trust me again.

That is, if they let me live. 

I breathe in, out, in, out, and my body sinks deeper and deeper to the floor, pushed down by the weight of all the secrets and all the lies. Mercifully, my conscious begins slipping away, and I fade into a restless sleep.

#

I jerk awake, and I find myself face to face with Zander. He takes in my disheveled hair and bleary eyes - and winks. “Looks like you had fun last night.” 

I groan. “It’s not what it looks like.”

Zander massive shoulders fall slightly. “Why not?” 

“Well, I was seduced then attacked by Adrian, before practically running away from Hale. Let’s just say it didn’t go as planned.”

Zander spins around. “Attacked?” His voice is sharp. “What did he do to you?”

I give him a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry, Hale stepped in. It was about the missing Drifter; Calie - Adrian still thought he could get information from me, like I was hiding something.”