thirty.

CHAPTER THIRTY;
NOT YOUR FRIEND.

el was anxious.

she had sent him her location and told her exactly where the window to the room she was staying in was. now, it was a matter of waiting.

it all felt so scandalous. like she wrote in one of their previous texts, it was all in true romeo and juliet fashion. except death was unlikely, more so him getting caught by his parents and even more grounded than he already was. well, there was the possibility that they get caught by her gun-carrying father. come to think of, maybe death isn't that unlikely.

she flopped backwards onto the outdated floral print quilt that covered the guest bed of her grandparents darling home. despite having only stayed there a petite handful of times in her life, she couldn't deny that the bed was terribly comfortable.

the longer she waited, the more inclined she was to allow the plush mattress envelop her into a light but much-needed sleep. after all, she and mike were woken pretty early from the shrill of his mother when she found them cuddled up in the fort.

it wasn't the introduction she was hoping for, but beggars can't be choosers. there was no time for formalities when mike tried his hardest to get her out of there, likely to shield her from his raging mom.

el sighed, losing her grip on consciousness and slipping into a hazy slumber.

it was a soft tapping that jerked her awake, sending her on high alert. her wide eyes flickered to her window to find a set of familiar squinted eyes looking into the dim guest room.

she hurried to tuck her hair behind her ears and straighten out her pajamas (if you consider her father's outdated, grey academy tee-shirt and some old nike pro shorts to be pajamas). she hurried towards the window, nearly slipping when her furry socks departed from the rug and slid against the hardwood floor.

el smiled to the boy through the glass, hiding her slight struggle to lift the old and heavy window. finally, it pushed open with a squeak and the chilly night air met her bare legs. she backed up, letting him climb in without a word.

upon entering the cottage styled home, which wasn't too far from dustin's, and quietly closed the window shut behind himself before turning to face the girl he had been waiting all day to see again.

he didn't bother formally greeting her before cupping her cheeks and connecting his lips to hers for a chaste 'hello' kiss. unfortunately, the moment her eyes fluttered shut is the moment he retreated to finally look at her, "hi."

she swallowed, fighting the smile that threatened her tingling lips. "hello."

his hands fell from her cheeks to hold her hands, but not without gently trailing down her arms. "i really don't want you to go," he complained, leading her backward in the direction of the bed.

she frowned as she sat down, pulling mike down to sit next to her. "i don't want to go either, but i have to," she complained with a disappointed frown coating her darling features.

"not if i kidnap you," he replied, rubbing his thumb across the back of her hand with a smirk.

she rolled her fawn-colored eyes before reminding, "you could try, but my dad's a cop, so i'm not sure how far you'll get."