forty-one.

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE;
NEW YEAR'S KISSING.

"three, two, one!"

mike mirrored el's infectious smile before leaning down to connect their lips. their ears barley registered the hooting and hollering coming from their friends as they celebrated the new decade in her informal living room.

unfortunately (but also fortunately) her father always worked on new year's eve (due to the excessive amount of drunk driving taking place) so the group of six had the house to theirselves.

she giggled against his lips, caressing his freckled cheeks. his arms were wrapped around her thin waist, pulling her clad against his frame. their lips detached with a soft smack and the sound of their wild friends finally invaded their previously deaf ears.

el looked over to see the ginger wrapped in her boyfriend's arms, swaying and kissing every few seconds. she then turned her attention to dustin who was glaring and bickering with will. "why not? everyone else is?" she heard him whine, not catching onto the content of their already developed disagreement.

will rolled his eyes. "they're couples, dustin. i'm not kissing you, end of story!"

dustin very clearly took offense. "wow, thanks, dude. you know, i thought you were my friend. i guess i was wrong!" he huffed, only receiving another eye roll. "are you sure you're even gay?"

the scrawnier of the two scoffed, "yeah, i'm pretty positive. the question is, are you?"

dustin shoved him lightly. "what? just because i'm straight doesn't mean i can't want a friendly kiss to ring in the new year with, you know!"

confused by what was conspiring, el looked back to who boyfriend who appeared equally as confused. realizing she was looking up at him, he refocused his attention to her and pressed their foreheads together.

"ignore them, they're stupid," he whispered, sweeping his thumb across her cheek.

she smiled before pressing up on her tiptoes to peck his plush lips one more time. "happy new year, baby boy," she whispered, folding her slender arms around his neck.

a soft smirk pulled at his lips that had been defiled by her kiwi-strawberry flavored lipgloss. "happy new year, my love," he gently rasped, tuning out the bickering that was still very much going on, only now max and lucas has joined in.

she hummed, loving when he addressed her as 'my love.' the brunette's cheeks reddened. "love you," she reminded, combing her fingers through the ebony curls that rested against the nape of his neck.

"i love you, too, pretty girl," he replied before a beat could pass. he pecked her pink cheek before gazing down at his girlfriend, adorning a simple lavender dress and white socks that came up a few inches past her ankles. "i miss you," the words seemed out of place given the fact that they're holding one another right now.

her thin brows furrowed. "you miss me? i'm right here, mike. you can't miss me."

he frowned and disagreed, "i can miss you." he noticed his response only puzzled her more and chuckled. "you're adorable, you know?"

"you say that a lot," she noted with amused eyes.

he nodded. "yes, because you are. you're-"

"hey, look, you little lovesick gremlins, it's time for the sparklers. you either come now, or we're doing them without you!" dustin threatened, appearing to be agitated by their shameless affection. she watched as the four friends began to make their way to the hall, likely to retrieve their coats before heading to the backyard where the sparklers were.

"someone's salty he didn't get a new year's kiss," mike joked only loud enough for the girl in front of him to hear.

she giggled. "stealing my lingo, hm? salty?" she returned, retreating from his loosened embrace.

he didn't even respond, he only tightened his hold before she could escape his grasp completely. he didn't hesitate to press his lips against hers, indulging in another one of her intoxicating kisses. his right hand moved up from her hip to hold the back of her head, disappearing into her honey-colored waves.

a high-pitched sound of shock resounded within the back of her throat when his tongue dipped past her swollen lips. her grabby hands trailed up his chest to cup his cheeks, feeding even more into the heated lip-lock.

a distinct whistle pulled the couple apart, revealing their swollen lips. they craned their necks to find max smirking in the doorway of the informal living area. "come on, guys. i know, you're in love and it's mushy and great, but dustin isn't joking. he'll light them all without you and i want us all to take cute instagram pictures. so, get your jackets and get out here!" her tone quickly turned form understanding and sympathetic to a demanding drill sergeant.

el and mike's eyes both widened as the red locks disappeared back down the hall.

mike gulped. "maybe we should.." he pointed in the direction she went and trailed off.

el nodded vehemently. "we should go, yeah." they laughed and intertwining their fingers before they grabbed their coats.

...

a/n: mushy, cute filler chapter for u guys. yes, updates r slow rn. i'm depressed, what is new. ik it seems like "damn this bitch is always sad" and yes, ur right, she is but just bear w me. we relapsing (insert me covering my face w my hand here) and it's ruff u feel?? ok, thank u for reading babies!! tea is coming (next chapter i think?? idk might do text chapter bc they're east to write and i need easy rn,, Y'ALL LMK WHICH!!!) xx

word count: 936