fifty-six.

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX;
I DO WANT YOU.

this was it. this was the moment she had been waiting for ever since she talked to max.

they were all alone. his sister was staying the night at a friends and his parents went to some interior design market in indianapolis to buy pieces for his mother's studio and wouldn't be back until tomorrow night.

what started out as cuddling and watching new girl (it was el's turn to pick the show) had taken a detour. as usual, a couple forehead kisses and lingering stares had turned into his tv screen asking if they're still watching while el was perched atop his lap engaging in many needy kisses.

her fingers grasped at his curls as his tongue tangled with her. he had his hands pulling her hips against him, trying to eliminate whatever space that crept between them.

she could feel her heart pounding against her ribs and she just prayed he didn't feel it, though she didn't know how he possibly couldn't. she felt the familiar flutter in the pit of her stomach, the flutter she always felt right before mike put on the brakes. she smiled against his soft lips, knowing there would be no braking tonight.

like clockwork, mike disconnected their lips and released his tight grip on her hips. he chuckled breathlessly as he pressed his forehead to hers. "okay, okay," he said before pecking her lips one more time, "we gotta cool it before i can't cool it."

an excited smile etched at her swollen lips. her hands moved from his disheveled curls to his warm cheeks before suggesting, "well then, maybe you shouldn't cool it."

he leaned back to look at her eyes, trying to decipher what she was implying. surely she wasn't implying what he thought. "what?"

her excited smile faltered into a nervous one. she swallowed, feeling her nerve start to slip away. she shrugged a shoulder, "i don't know, um..." she shook her head, trying to regain whatever confidence she had just moments ago. taking a deep breath, her hands moved from his face to the hem of her light green colored blouse.

his squinted eyes formed perfect circles as his girlfriend discarded her shirt and tossed it on the bed beside them, leaving her perched on his lap in a lacy, baby blue bra.

she quickly noticed how he was willing his stare not to trail below her collarbones. all of her nervousness and excitement drained from her, replaced with a ruthless wave of embarrassment. she couldn't place the glint in his eyes but she knew it was far from desire.

her breathe shallowed and she folded her arms over her chest, awkwardly sliding off of her lap. she'd endured a lot of awful things at her old school but was another level of mortifying. her putting herself out there, topless and all, just for mike to look at her like she'd grown a second head.

her lower lip wedged between her teeth and she looked at her shirt, torn between putting it back on and not moving her arms from her chest.

"el, hey," he began, extending an arm towards her but lowering it when he saw the hurt reflecting in her hazel pools.

she blinked and shook her head. "you don't have to say anything. it's fine," she dismissed it.

he sighed and pressed his lips together before speaking, "i just, i'm shocked. i wasn't expecting-"

she cut him off, "it was a stupid idea. i don't know why i thought you would've-"