Chapter 1 Nightmare

Nightmare

{"Your nightmares follow you like a shadow, forever." - Aleksandar Hemon}

Everything around me screamed that something bad is going down. Blood splattered on the walls, a scent of death lingering, and my mind blurring. Noises surrounded me, but none reached my consciousness.

Then, a black-gloved hand slid across the door, attempting to catch me. Horrifying.

Backed against the walls, my throat clogged, lungs empty of breath.

"I don't want to die. Please, please, please, I don't want to die," I chanted.

Legs shaking, muscles tense, the hand still inching towards me.
"Help! Help!" I shouted.

"Eve! Ever!"

"Come on!"

"We'll be late. Wake up!"

Someone calling me—I don't know who.

Focusing on the voice, I recognize it. Oh, it's Renne, my best friend, my roommate, but why is she here? I don't want her here.

I want her safe; she's my only friend.

Hearing her voice again, clearer this time.

"Wake up!"

"It's already time," she said.

"Was that a nightmare?" I questioned myself with closed eyes.

Opened them and saw Renne beside me.

Hugged her tightly, not wanting to lose her.

I don't know where I'd be without her, my rock when I needed a friend the most.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"My dreams are getting worse day by day," I thought.

I get them so often, I should be used to them, but I'm not. Never really get used to nightmares.

My brow threatened to furrow, but I smoothed out the lines.

"I was just in the middle of a nightmare. Sorry," I explained.

"Are you sure we don't need to go to the doctor? It's getting worse," she asked, showing concern.

"No, no, I'm okay. Just a stupid dream," I reassured.

"A stupid dream! Are you sure? I've been trying to wake you up for half an hour, and you were shouting for help. I got scared," she continued.

Didn't give her details; I don't want her to worry.

"You're being weird. Okay, come on, get ready. We'll be late if you don't hurry up," she informed.

Got up, started getting ready. After brushing and bathing, dressed up, then went to the living area.

"Hey, I'm ready, let's go," I said to Renne.
"Yeah, let's go, or we'll be standing outside," she said.

Off to college, unaware that my life was about to change. The person who'd change it was already there.