Chapter 13

Axel's POV

"The man, with the family outside your diner. H-He's my dad"

I don't know why, but I feel like I could trust Jay with everything, even if I've only known him for a week. I want to tell him about my family, I want him to know more about me. If he decides that he wants nothing to do with me after this, that's his choice. Sure, it'll hurt, but I'll get over it.

He rubs his hand up and down my back, while his other hand rubs soothing circles on my waist, "Ever since I was younger, I never felt the parent-child bond that all of my friends seemed to have with their parents. My parents always yelled at me, for not doing something right. I always got perfect grades, was always the top of my grade, was the best player on the best basketball team of the country. Even then, they'd find something to scold me at. It could be for not having enough friends, or not drinking enough water, or not eating enough. I cleaned the house, did the dishes, did all their laundry, cooked for them. They never once called me a good child, or thanked me. They always called me a disgrace, ungrateful, useless, when I did everything around the house. I still managed to keep up my grades, and everyone in town always told my parents how lucky they were to have a kid like me. They'd just laugh it off, and yell at me when we got home for being arrogant and embarrassing them, when all I did was stand next to them and smiled, thanking whoever complimented me. I talked to whoever came up to talk to me, and I was always polite. But no matter what I did, I was never good enough"

I let out a low, bitter chuckle, "I quit basketball when my dad called me shameful when I couldn't win against five high school seniors on a basketball team. I was in 7th grade, and my dad called me incompetent because I couldn't win against them, when it was a 5v1. The score was 54-50, I was so close. But the guys played dirty. They'd shove me, kick me, and punch me to take the ball, and my dad sat there through the whole thing, laughing every time the older kids did something to me. When I lost, my dad came up to me and told me to quit since I couldn't even win. I got scared of basketball, and had nightmares every night for a whole year after that. I kept imagining them hitting me, and laughing at me every time I saw a basketball. I still have scars from that day. I'm scared that if I lose again, my dad will come and laugh at me and call me worthless again and again. That's why I never joined the basketball team these past years, and why I disappeared after the championship. But after the game we had in gym class, I remembered why I played basketball, why I loved it so much. The rush of adrenaline I get when the crowd cheers for a small kid like me, who gets past all the six foot tall players and dunks the ball, and the shocked look on the opponent's faces when I do. It's the best feeling in the world" I say with a smile.

I took a deep breath for what I was about to say next, "A month before school started, my mom left my dad for another man. My dad left me soon after. My mom was in charge of buying a house for me to live in so they wouldn't have to worry about taking custody over me, since none of them wanted me anyways. My dad's in charge of leaving me some cash every month to make sure I have food to survive, since it'd look bad for their reputation if their child died of starvation and neglect. Heck, I'm sure they'd be ecstatic if I died, that's why I haven't thought of suicide. I didn't want to make them happier than they already are, when I'm here, alone. I realize how selfish that sounds, but really, can't I be selfish for once? I didn't have the motivation to study, or pay attention in class, and my grades suffered. I guess deep down, I also wanted to get their attention by acting up, although I knew that would never happen. So now I'm trying to get my grades back up so I could get into a decent university and become way more successful than they could ever wish to be. I'll be so successful in life, I'll rub it in their faces and make them beg me to let them call me their son"

I sit up, "I'll show them that the child they called disgraceful and worthless will be one of the most successful people on earth. Guess that's why I want to get my life back on track."

I turn and look at Jay, "And because I met you. You make me really happy Jay, the happiest I've ever been. I want to get my life back on track and continue being this happy, with you" I say, with a smile.

Jayden's POV

"You make me really happy Jay, the happiest I've ever been. I want to get my life back on track and continue being this happy, with you" he smiles.

I sit there, staring at him. How could his parents ever think of abandoning such a sweet, beautiful, perfect, amazing guy like Axel?

I pull Axel into a tight hug, "I'm so proud of you. You're so strong, and so amazing and I-I really, really, like you"

I pull away, and hold Axel's face in my hands. I smile at him, "I know you'll make it big, and your parents are going to come crawling back and asking for your forgiveness. But don't let them in, they don't deserve you"

He smiles as tears start forming in his eyes, "I guess the reason why I was so shaken up back there was because of how I saw my dad smiling at the kid. He's never looked at me that way before"

I look at him seriously, "You, Axel Miller, are FAR better than that child will ever be. Sure, I don't know the kid, but I know for a fact that you are a million times better, and will accomplish way more than that kid can even dream of achieving. I kind of feel bad for saying this about the kid since he's really got nothing to do with this, but you're way better than he can ever dream to be. You're smart, beautiful, and amazing at basketball. You should join the team, you'll do great and you should do something you love and enjoy"

He smiles at me, "I will. I'm going to ask the coach soon if I can join the team, though I doubt the coach will say no. He tried to convince me throughout the week to join, but I kept telling him I'll think about it" he giggles.

I smile fondly at him, "I'm sure the coach would be delighted to hear your answer then"

He smiles and nods. He puts his head on my shoulders, and hugs me tight. "I really like you, Jay"

I smile, "Well then, I know it might be a bit soon but I've never been more sure of something in my life"

I take his face in my hands again, "Axel Miller, you have made me so happy this past week and I have never felt this way about anyone else, and I never will feel this way about anyone else. So, will you do me the honours of becoming my probably not lawfully, future-wedded boyfriend?"

He giggles, "You sound like you're proposing to me"

I smirk, "Well hopefully in the future I will"

He smiles, "I'd love to"

I pull him into a tight hug, and he puts his arms around my neck. I pull away and lean in, looking in his eyes for permission. He closes them, in which I assume is confirmation, so I slowly close the gap.

Now, I was never one to say a kiss was out of this world and that I felt the explosions. But right here, right now, kissing Axel, I understand what people meant when they say they feel fireworks kissing the person they love.

I smile and pull away from the kiss before it got too heated, not wanting to ruin this moment by being a hormonal teenager. It was a light, meaningful kiss, and I think it's the perfect way to end this date.

I stand up and pull him with me, "Let's head back to your place, it's getting late. Oh, I'm staying the night by the way"

He smiles and dusts himself off, "I wouldn't have it any other way. I didn't want to be alone tonight after seeing him, so I really appreciate it" he grins up at me.

I take his hand as we walk back to my car, and I think back to what Axe said. I'll make sure he never feels how he felt when he was with his parents. I'll make sure he's the happiest pancake on earth.

I snort, thinking back when Axe called me a pancake. I'm never going to let him live that down.

I hope he makes his pancakes again tomorrow morning.

------------

A/N: Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this chapter! I had so many feels writing this chapter T^T Exams are coming up for me, so if any of you guys have exams coming up, I wish you luck!

Please vote, and have a nice week!